It was a really ugly rainy day on Sunday and I didn’t make it to the grocery store until close to 4 PM. I gave up on making the pierogi that night and figured I would do it on Monday. Well, it turned out to be quite the disaster. I’m not sure if I didn’t have the dough thick enough or if I’m just so used to frozen pierogi that I didn’t think it was very good. The dough was still kind of chewy even though I followed the recipe exactly. So, next time I think I’ll use wonton wrappers and see what happens. Maybe baking them first would be a good idea too. We’ll see.
Last night I had planned on making chicken cordon bleu but forgot to pull out the chicken. When I called Tom to have him do it, I found out that we were out of chicken breasts and only had chicken tenders. So I decided to improvise and this is what I came up with.Print
Chicken Cordon Bleu Roll Ups
- Yield: 4-6 servings 1x
- Category: Entree, Chicken
- 1 package chicken tenders
- 1/2 lb. lunchmeat ham
- 8 oz. package Swiss cheese
- 10 oz. cream of mushroom soup (or homemade)
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 2 tbs. water
- salt, pepper, garlic and paprika
1. Preheat the oven to 450.
2. Spray a large baking dish or pan with non-stick spray.
3. Season the chicken tenders with salt, pepper, garlic and paprika.
4. Wrap each chicken tender in a piece of Swiss cheese then wrap with ham. Secure with a toothpick if necessary.
5. Bake the chicken tenders for 25-30 minutes or until cooked through.
6. In a small saucepan, add sour cream, cream of mushroom soup and water over medium low heat. Stir well until soup thins out and keep warm over low heat until chicken is done.
7. Drizzle cream of mushroom soup mixture over chicken cordon bleu roll ups.
I think for improvising last minute this turned out pretty well. Next time I might brown the chicken in a pan first just so it has more color since it kind of blends in with the Swiss cheese while its baking.