Creamy risotto becomes a complete meal with the addition of shrimp and asparagus.
1. In a small pot heat the chicken stock over low heat.
2. In a large skillet, add the olive oil. Add onion and cook for 3-5 minutes or until onion is soft. Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute more.
3. Add the rice to the skillet and stir well until the rice is coated and transparent. Pour in the white wine and stir occasionally until the rice has absorbed it.
4. Pour the chicken stock into the rice 1/2 cup at a time. Stir well. Once the rice has absorbed the first portion of the chicken stock, add the next 1/2 cup.
5. While the rice is cooking, preheat the oven to 450. Line a cookie sheet with aluminum foil.
6. Break the ends off of the asparagus. Drizzle with olive oil and roll asparagus around on cookie sheet until coated. Season with salt and pepper. Put the asparagus in the oven approximately 10 minutes before the risotto will be done.
7. Right before you add your last 1/2 cup of chicken stock to the rice, melt 2 tbs. of butter in a medium sized skillet. Season the shrimp with salt and pepper. Add to the skillet and cook for 1-2 minutes or until the shrimp becomes pink. Flip each shrimp over and cook for 1-2 minutes more.
8. Remove the shrimp from the skillet onto a plate. Cover with foil to keep warm.
9. Once the rice has absorbed all of the chicken stock, add the remaining two tbs. of butter, Parmesan cheese and mozzarella cheese. Stir continuously until the cheese and butter are melted.
10. Remove from heat. Add risotto to the plate, top with shrimp and asparagus.
11. Season with salt and pepper if necessary.
Keywords: risotto, rice, asparagus, shrimp