I was never a big fan of green bean casserole until I came across a recipe that used cheese instead of cream of mushroom soup. I like cream of mushroom soup and would even be tempted to add fresh mushrooms to green bean casserole, but sometimes you just need a cheesy green bean casserole.
- 10 oz. green beans, fresh or frozen*
- 1/2 small onion, chopped
- 1 tbsp. butter
- 1/2 tbsp. all purpose flour
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 slice provolone cheese, cut into bite sized pieces (optional)
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup French Fried Onions
* If using frozen green beans, let thaw and drain before cooking
1. In a skillet over medium heat, melt the butter. Preheat the oven to 375.
2. Once the butter is melted, add the onions and cook for 3-5 minutes until the onions are translucent and tender. Add the flour and stir to coat.
3. Add in the milk and bring to a boil. Once boiling, reduce heat slightly and add in the cheese(s).
4. Place the green beans in a baking dish (8×8 or 9×13) and pour cheese mixture over the green beans. Top with the French fried onions.
5. Bake the green bean casserole for 20-25 minutes or until cheese is bubbly and the fried onions are browned.