I made these cookies earlier in the week, but I finally have time to blog them. The caramel and strawberry preserves ones are my favorites. Next year I think I’ll pick up some other flavored preserves to try out.
- 1 1/3 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 3 3/4 cup all purpose flour
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 1 egg yolk
- fillings of your choice,
(I used strawberry and pineapple preserves, caramel sauce and apple butter)
1. Cream the butter and sugar together. Add the egg and then slowly add in the orange juice. Once well combined, add in the flour in small doses until everything is well incorporated and a soft dough forms.
2. Wrap the dough in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
3. Preheat the oven to 375.
4. Scoop teaspoons sized chunks of dough and roll into a ball with your hands. Place the dough on a cookie sheet and use your thumb or pointer finger to press down the center of the dough to make a deep indent. Repeat with all of the cookies on the sheet. Spin the cookie sheet around and press down the dough on the other side to make the indent even on both sides and to avoid your filling leaking out.
5. Bake the cookies for 10 minutes.
6. Remove from the oven and fill the indents with your choice of filling. Return the cookies to the oven and bake for 5-6 minutes more. Transfer to wire cooling racks.