From scratch empanadas stuffed with chicken, cheese and onion.
1. Add the chicken stock and lime juice to the crock pot. Sprinkle the chile powder over the chicken and place in the crock pot.
2. Cook on low for 4-6 hours or until cooked through.
3. Shred the chicken and transfer to a bowl. Drizzle 3 tablespoons of the juice from the crock pot over the chicken and set aside.
1. In a large bowl, combine the flour, salt and baking powder. Use your fingers to cut in the butter until the mixture is crumbly.
2. Add 1 cup of cold water and mix it just until the dough comes together. It should be tacky but not too tacky that you can’t work with it.
3. Lightly flour a surface and turn out the dough. Divide into two equal portions and knead each for 2 minutes, forming it into a smooth ball.
4. Lightly oil a bowl and place both balls of dough in it. Cover with plastic wrap and let rise for 20 minutes.
1. While the dough is rising, heat olive oil and sugar in a large skillet over low heat.
2. Add the onions to the skillet and cook for 25-30 minutes, stirring frequently or until the onions have caramelized.
3. Transfer the onions to the chicken mixture. Add in the goat cheese and stir until combined. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
1. Preheat the oven to 400 and line two large baking sheets with parchment paper.
2. Roll out each dough ball to 1/4″ thickness. Using a glass or circle cookie cutter, cut out 4-5″ circles. Place them on the prepared baking sheets.
3. Spoon 2 tablespoons of the chicken mixture into the center of each dough round. Fold the dough over to make a half moon shape and crimp the edges with your fingers or a fork. Repeat with remaining dough.
4. In a small bowl, which the egg and 1.5 tablespoons of water together. Brush the egg wash over the dough, being careful not to brush all the way to the crimped edge.
5. Bake the empanadas for 15 minutes, then rotate the baking sheet and bake for another 15 minutes.
1. While the empanadas are baking, mix together the dressing ingredients in a small bowl. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
Keywords: crock pot, empanadas, from scratch, lime, ranch, chicken