Have you read the book or watched the movie The Help? In the story, Minny is known for her delicious chocolate pie that everyone thinks is to-die-for. However, when Hilly fires Minny, Minny adds a little something extra and unsavory to her chocolate pie before delivering it to Hilly.
I’ve never had chocolate pie. Hell, until the book I’d never heard of chocolate pie. But after reading what Minny did to the pie, well it made me hesitate for quite some time before making it. Over the weekend I really wanted something chocolate. We had candy in the fridge but that wasn’t what I wanted. I flipped through my recipe binder and my eyes landed on this recipe and I knew it was finally time to put the eww factor behind me and whip up this pie.Print
Minny’s Chocolate Pie
- Yield: 1 pie 1x
- Category: Pie
- Method: Baking
- 1 refrigerated pie crust
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 3 tbsp. unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/4 tsp. unsalted butter, melted
- 2 eggs, slightly beaten
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 5 oz. evaporated milk
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- whipped cream, for serving
1. Preheat the oven to 350. Place the pie crust into a 9″ pie pan. Crimp the edges.
2. In the bowl of your stand mixer, combine the sugar, cocoa powder and butter. Mix until just combined then add in the eggs, one at a time and beat on low speed for 3 minutes.
3. Add the salt, evaporated milk and vanilla. Mix until combined.
4. Pour the filling into the prepared pie pan and bake for 35-45 minutes or until the filling is slightly set in the middle.
5. Cool completely before serving with a large dollop of whipped cream.
Source: Sweetie Petitti
Keywords: chocolate, pie, the help
This pie is incredibly easy to whip together. No wonder Minny made it so often! Its creamy, silky, smooth delicious chocolate gooeyness that completely curbed my chocolate craving.