I don’t necessarily dislike it, but if its on the menu with something else, I’m going for the something else first. However, if he chooses to pick up a package of Italian sausages at the grocery store, I will eat them. For a while we were eating them just with Sriracha sauce which is incredibly delicious but can get boring after a bit.
One afternoon when Tom was grilling them for lunches I happened to look in the fridge and noticed that we had half of a leftover green pepper. I figured it was a good of time as any to saute up some green pepper and onions and put it on the Italian sausage.
Italian Sausage with Green Pepper and Onion
Source: A Cookaholic Wife Creation
- 2 Italian sausages, grilled
- 1/2 green pepper, thinly sliced
- 1/2 small onion, thinly sliced
- 2 hot dog/sub rolls
- salt and pepper
- 1 tsp. olive oil
1. Heat olive oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Add the peppers and onions and cook for 5-7 minutes or until soft. Season with salt and pepper.
2. Place the Italian sausage on the hot dog/sub roll and top with peppers and onions. Add salt and pepper to taste if necessary.
I realize this is a very, very basic version of sausages and peppers, but it was what I had available. I confess, I did still add some Sriracha to this, but the peppers and onions provided a nice slight crunch that made me at least a little more interested in eating sausage.