I debated on not participating in this recipe swap because the theme was desserts and as we all know, desserts don’t do very much to help out your waistline. Unless you count making it rounder. But I’m a sucker with a sweet tooth and I swear
my mouse just clicked on a recipe, copied it and sent Sarah and email saying I’d participate before I could even think about it.
That’s my story and I’m sticking to it. Okay?
I am SO glad I decided to participate in this swap. The recipe I was assigned just sounded incredibly delicious right from the beginning. Nutella frosting? How could anyone say no to that? And a honey cupcake!?! I had never heard of it before so that intrigued me even more.
We receive our recipe assignments on a Friday and they are due two Fridays later. Usually I make the recipe on the second weekend, but not this time. I scanned and recipe and quickly realized I had all of these ingredients in the pantry and fridge. There would be no waiting for these tasty little cupcakes, I was making them right away.
I did manage to wait until Sunday to make these, but only because I ended up with a migraine on Saturday which foiled my efforts to spend the day in the kitchen.
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 tbsp. baking powder
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 4 tbsp. unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 cup honey
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla
1. Preheat the oven to 350. Line a cupcake pan with paper or foil liners.
2. Add the flour, baking powder and salt together in a bowl. Stir until combined. Set aside.
3. In the bowl of your stand mixer, add the butter and sugar. Using the beater attachment, cream butter and sugar together until light and fluffy. Add the eggs, honey, buttermilk and vanilla.
4. Slowly add the flour mixture into the stand mixer bowl. Mix until just incorporated.
5. Scoop the batter into the prepared cupcake pan and bake for 20 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack to cool.
- 1 stick unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 2/3 cup Nutella
- 3/4 cup powdered sugar, sifted
- 4-6 tbsp. heavy cream
- 1 tbsp. vanilla
- pinch of salt
1. In the bowl of your stand mixer, beat butter and Nutella until smooth. Add the powdered sugar 1/4 cup at a time with 1 tbsp. of the heavy cream at a time until combined. Add vanilla and salt, then additional heavy cream as needed to reach desired consistency.
2. Refrigerate until ready to use.
Place frosting in a piping bag with a large star tip. Pipe frosting onto cupcakes. If frosting gets too soft, refrigerate cupcakes until ready to serve.
Oh my Nutella heaven are these incredible! Everything that you want a cupcake to be is all rolled into this cupcake. Tom tried one before I did and said “Nope. Disgusting. Can’t share these with the coworkers at all.” Which means he thinks its amazing and doesn’t want to share with anyone.
Further prompting resulted in him telling me that they taste like E.L. Fudge Cookies. So if you are a fan of those, you might want to pick up the ingredients and get to your kitchen pronto.
Crazy Sweet Tuesday at Crazy for Crust