I knew after a 6 day diet where my lunches and dinners mainly consisted of salads, I was going to be craving some "real" food come the 7th day. Which is where the Secret Recipe Club fits in perfectly. For this month, I was assigned Cookin' Mimi, which is written by Miche and features a ton of hearty, delicious looking recipes.
The chili with beans immediately caught my eye. Mainly because the weather has turned cooler, but mostly because it definitely feel under my categorization of 'real' food. Plus its made in the crock pot. I'm a sucker for convenience, people. I admit it.
Crock Pot Chili with Beans
Source: Cookin' Mimi
- 1.5 lbs. very lean ground beef
- 2 bell peppers, diced
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 jalapeno, seeded and diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp. chili powder
- 2 tbsp. cumin
- 2 tsp. oregano
- 2 15 oz. cans kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 14.5 oz. can fire roasted tomatoes
- 6 cups spicy V8 tomato juice
- Optional Toppings: shredded cheese, sour cream, jalapeno slices
1. Combine the ground beef, green pepper, onion, and jalapeno together in a skillet over medium heat. Cook, stirring frequently until the meat is no longer pink. Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute more.
2. Season the mixture with chili powder, cumin and oregano.
3. In a 4 quart crock pot, combine the beans and tomato juice. Add the ground beef mixture to the crock pot and cook on low for 8-10 hours.
4. Ladle chili into bowls and top with optional toppings if desired.