- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1 lemon
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 cup strawberries, hulled and sliced
1. Preheat the oven to 400. Spray a muffin pan with non-stick cooking spray or use liners.
2. Combine flours, baking powder, baking soda and salt together in a large bowl. In a small bowl, combine buttermilk, egg and vanilla.
3. Zest the lemon into a small bowl, then add sugar. Mix together until slightly clumped. Add into the flour mixture. Then pour in the wet mixture, along with the juice of the lemon.
4. Stir with a wooden spoon until combined, then gently fold in the strawberries.
5. Divide the batter into the muffin cups, filling 2/3 to 3/4 of the way full. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until the tops of the muffins are golden brown. Let cool in the muffin pan for 5 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to continue cooling completely.
You can’t even tell these are healthy little muffins. While I’m sure the tartness of the raspberries would have mingled nicely with the tartness of the lemon, the strawberries are a decent substitution.