But then I received the email from Kristin, reminding me that the two ingredients for this month’s Improv Challenge is Bacon and Eggs. I would call that divine intervention of the burger variety, wouldn’t you?
I’m one of those people who strongly believes that a burger is only as good as the toppings on it. Bacon is a very popular choice in this house. As is going for the less common American cheese but unfortunately, I am the only one interested in adding vegetables to my burger.
Bacon + cheddar + fried egg sounds like a good enough meal on its own so I figured it could only be made better by shoving it on top of a lean ground beef burger and sandwiching it in between two potato rolls (the roll of choice in this house). Of course, I was right. I’m rarely wrong when it comes to choices involving bacon.
Fried Egg Bacon Cheeseburgers
Source: A Cookaholic Wife Creation
- 1 lb. lean ground beef
- 1/4 cup onion, diced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tbsp. steak sauce
- pinch of kosher salt
- pinch of black pepper
- 4 slices cheddar cheese
- 4 eggs
- 4 slices bacon, cooked
- lettuce, tomato, mayonnaise, ketchup, mustard, pickles
1. Preheat a grill to high heat.
2. Combine ground beef, onion, garlic, steak sauce, salt and pepper together in a bowl. Form into 4 patties.
3. Grill the burgers for 4-5 minutes on each side or until cooked through.
4. Meanwhile, heat a skillet over medium heat and spray with non-stick cooking spray.
5. Crack the egg into the skillet and either fry or cook sunny side up. Transfer to a plate and repeat with remaining eggs.
6. Place the cheese on top of the burgers and allow to melt, then transfer burgers to a plate.
7. Place burger on the bun, add a slice of bacon, top with the egg and any of your desired other toppings.
Napkins. You will need lots and lots of napkins for this burger. However, it’s just as delicious (or maybe even more so) than it sounds.