This does not bode well for me and my hatred of winter and all things white that fall from the sky. However, I’m pretending that it is the only snowfall we’re going to get for this winter to get through it. And along with a steaming mug of hot chocolate dotted with marshmallows and some of these cookies sure helps me not think about it.
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 (1 oz.) hot chocolate mix packets
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 stick unsalted butter, softened
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 10 oz. mini semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 2/3 cup mini marshmallows, halved
1. Preheat the oven to 350. Line baking sheets with parchment paper.
2. In a medium bowl, combine flour, hot chocolate mix, baking soda and salt together.
3. With an electric mixer or in the bowl of your stand mixer, beat butter, shortening, sugar and brown sugar together on medium speed until light and fluffy.
4. Reduce the speed and add in the eggs one at a time, followed by the vanilla. Then slowly add in the flour mixture until fully combined.
5. Use a wooden spoon to stir in the chocolate chips and marshmallows.
6. Drop tablespoon-sized balls of dough on the prepared baking sheets, approximately 2 hours apart. Bake for 10 minutes, then allow to cool slightly on the baking sheet before transferring to a wire rack to continue cooling completely.
I did have an issue with some of these cookies not turning out very pretty because of the marshmallows melting. In the original recipe, she uses marshmallow bits, which appear to be crunchier than your typically marshmallow and probably doesn’t melt as easy. I didn’t realize this until I had already started the recipe and since Amazon has started shipping via drone yet, I had to make do with that I had available.