I was assigned The Weekend Gourmet, which is written by Wendy. She has a lot of tasty looking recipes, but I opted to choose one that could be served for Valentine’s Day since the holiday is quickly approaching. I chose these Strawberry Shortcake Doughnuts because they could be a breakfast choice or a dessert and some of my favorite recipes are interchangable like that!
for the doughnut:
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 6 oz. strawberry Greek yogurt
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 tsp. lemon zest
- 1/2 cup fresh strawberries, chopped
for the strawberry topping:
- 1 cup fresh strawberries, chopped
- 2 tbsp. sugar
- 1 tsp. lemon juice
for the whipped cream:
- 1 pint heavy whipping cream
- 2-3 tbsp. powdered sugar
- 1 tsp. vanilla
1. Preheat oven to 375. Spray a doughnut pan with non-stick cooking spray.
2. In a large bowl, stir together the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. In a small bowl, whisk together the yogurt, milk, egg, vanilla and lemon. Combine the wet ingredients into the dry and then gently fold in the fresh strawberries.
3. Fill the doughnut pan and bake for 20-25 minutes or until cooked through.
4. Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
5. Meanwhile, make the strawberry topping by tossing strawberries, sugar and lemon juice together in a bowl. Allow to sit for 20 minutes for juices to form.
6. Combine ingredients for whipped cream in the bowl of your stand mixer with the beater attachment and beat on high speed until stiff peaks form.
7. To assemble, spoon a large dollop of whipped cream on top of the doughnut and top with the fresh strawberries.
I’ve never been a huge fan of the shortcake part of strawberry shortcake so this was a nice change. The strawberry doughnut was light and fluffy and you can never go wrong with whipped cream or strawberries!