Plus I was feeling particularly sneaky and wanted Tom to eat more vegetables since he hadn’t ate them in forever. I didn’t really change the recipe other than to use chives this time around because we didn’t have fresh parsley.
Cheesy Cauliflower Mashed Potatoes
Source: Cookaholic Wife Creation
- 1/2 small head cauliflower, leaves removed and roughly chopped
- 3 fingerling potatoes, scrubbed and diced
- 3 tbsp. milk
- 1 tbsp. butter
- 1/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- salt and pepper to taste
1. Fill a medium sized saucepan half way with water. Add cauliflower, potatoes and a few sprinkles of salt. Bring to a boil.
2. Boil potatoes and cauliflower until they are fork tender. Drain the water.
3. Add the milk, butter, cheese, and garlic powder. Mash until desired consistency. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Original Post: June 15, 2011
When Tom told me that he didn’t like the roasted cauliflower I was immediately determined to find another way for him to try it. I figured he (and practically everyone else) loves mashed potatoes so I might as well add cauliflower to that and see how it goes.
The cheese was a last minute addition by Tom but it turned out great.
If you’re looking for a way to trick someone into eating cauliflower, I highly recommend this. You couldn’t taste the cauliflower in it at all. If you’re cooking for two, I’d suggest halving the cauliflower, this made a ton for just us. I’d consider this a complete success; $1 for the cauliflower at the farmers market and Tom likes it.