That’s like my trifecta of heavenly tastes. Sweet, salty and awesome.
- 1 stick unsalted butter
- 5 oz. semi-sweet chocolate, chopped
- 3/4 cup white sugar
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tbsp. cocoa powder
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 3 eggs
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1/4 cup caramel candies, chopped
- 1/4 cup pretzels, roughly chopped/crushed
1. Preheat the oven to 350. Line an 8×8 dish with parchment paper and spray lightly with non-stick spray.
2. In a small saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat. Once melted add the chocolate and remove from the heat. Stir in with a wooden spoon until chocolate is completely melted. Then stir in both sugars and stir until combined. Let cool for 5 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, whisk together the flour, cocoa powder and salt.
4. Whisk the eggs and vanilla extract into the chocolate mixture.
4. Pour the wet mixture into the dry and stir until combined and no lumps remain. Pour half into the prepared dish and top with half of the caramel candies. Then pour in the remaining batter.
5. Sprinkle the remaining caramel pieces and the pretzels on top of the batter.
6. Bake for 25 minutes or until the center is cooked through. Allow to cool slightly on a wire rack before cutting into 12 squares.
The original recipe calls for mixing in half the caramel candies and the pretzels into the batter, but previous experience let me know that the pretzels in the batter would just become soggy. I opted to keep them on top which kept their crunchiness.
These brownies are so tasty and the perfect combination of sweet and salty. I can’t wait until I can have them again!