I never used to like arugula, thinking it just didn’t taste like lettuce. Well, it doesn’t taste like lettuce, it has a distinct peppery taste and sometimes has more hints of a bitter note than others. My tastebuds changed over time and now I could honestly eat an arugula salad nightly.
I also have a deep love for prosciutto. It comes in 2 and 4 oz. packages here and there have been nights where I’ve intended to eat a slice and then end up eating the entire package. Anyway, combining arugula with prosciutto is like my current heaven of choice so this recipe was a no brainer.
Prosciutto Arugula Pizza
Inspired by Food Network Magazine
- 2 whole wheat pita pockets
- 3 tbsp. pizza sauce
- 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp. crushed red pepper
- 1 1/2 cups shredded mozzarella
- 2 slices prosciutto, chopped
- 1 cup arugula
- 1/2 tsp. olive oil
- squeeze of fresh lemon juice
1. Preheat the oven to 425. Line a baking sheet with foil. (Or heat a pizza stone with the oven.)
2. Divide the pizza sauce and spread evenly onto the pita pockets. Sprinkle with garlic powder and crushed red pepper.
3. Divide the cheese between the two pita pockets. Then add the prosciutto on top. Bake for 10-12 minutes or until the cheese has melted, the prosciutto is crispy and the pita is toasted on the bottom.
4. Meanwhile, toss together the arugula with olive oil and lemon juice. Once pita pizzas are removed from the oven, divide the arugula on top of each and cut in half to serve.