Sometimes you just need to make a recipe laden with heavy cream and cheese. It's not often I do this, but I've been on a mission to clean out the deep freezer and I had a package of gnocchi in there. I also had made another recipe using 1/2 cup of heavy cream and had another half cup remaining. It seemed recipe fate was knocking on my door with that one.
Ham and Cheese Gnocchi Skillet
Source: Cheesecurd in Paradise
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 cups ham, diced
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 16 oz. package gnocchi
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup mozzarella, shredded
- 1/2 cup sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 2 tbsp. fresh parsley, finely chopped
- salt and pepper, to taste
1. Heat the olive oil in a large oven-safe skillet over medium high heat. Add the onion and cook for 4-6 minutes, stirring frequently, until the onions are softened and slightly browned. Add the ham to the skillet and cook for 2-3 minutes more, just until the ham starts to get crispy.
2. Add the water, gnocchi, frozen peas and heavy cream, stirring after each addition. Allow to cook for 6-8 minutes or until the sauce has thickened.
3. Sprinkle the mozzarella and sharp cheddar over the dish and place the skillet under the broiler for 2-3 minutes, rotating if needed, until cheese is golden brown and bubbly.
4. Remove from the oven and allow to rest for 5 minutes before seasoning to taste with salt and pepper. Garnish with parsley and serve.