This recipe has been in that list, like forever. I have no idea why I never made these before. Peaches + other simple ingredients = big time flavor. You need these bars in your life.
for the crumb mixture:
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 2 sticks unsalted butter, cold
- 1 egg
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 4 large peaches, peeled and diced (about 3 1/2 cups)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 4 tsp. cornstarch
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla
- 1/8 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp. ground nutmeg
for the filling:
1. Preheat the oven to 375. Line a 9×13 baking dish with parchment paper. Spray the parchment and up the sides with non-stick cooking spray.
2. In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar and baking powder.
3. Cut the butter into tiny pieces. Add the butter and the egg to the large bowl and cut with a pastry cutter or two forks until the mixture is coarse and crumbly.
4. Press half of the crumb mixture into the bottom of the prepared baking dish.
5. In a medium bowl, whisk together the sugar, cornstarch, vanilla, cinnamon and nutmeg. Add the peaches and toss to coat.
6. Pour the peach mixture over the crumb mixture and then top with the remaining crumb mixture, pressing it gently down.
7. Bake for 45 minutes or until lightly golden. Allow to cool (or refrigerate after cooling to room temp) to cut into squares.
I knew I couldn’t have something like this lying around the house or I would inhale them all in a matter of days (hours). So I split the pan in thirds. One third went to work with me, one third went to work with Tom and another third stayed at home with us. Tom said they were only on the plate a few hours at his work before they were gone. Same thing happened to me.
If that’s not proof that you really need to try out this recipe while peaches are still in season, I don’t know what is!