So a cupcake recipe that called for cookie dough frosting was right up my dessert alley.
for the cupcakes:
- 1 box chocolate cake mix + required ingredients
for the frosting:
- 4 oz. cream cheese, softened
- 5 tbsp. unsalted butter, softened
- 2/3 cup brown sugar
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 envelope Dream Whip*
- 2-4 tbsp. milk, divided
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 2/3 cup mini chocolate chips
1. Mix and prepare cupcakes according to package directions. You can also make your own homemade chocolate cupcakes if desired. Allow to cool completely.
2. Beat together the cream cheese and butter the bowl of a stand mixer. Then add the brown sugar, vanilla, salt and Dream Whip until combined.
3. Add 2 tbsp. of the milk, the flour and the powdered sugar 1/2 cup at a time until fully combined. If the frosting is very thick, add in the remaining milk 1 tablespoon at a time until it reaches your desired consistency. Stir in the mini chocolate chips by hand.
4. Transfer to a piping bag fitted with a very large tip and pipe onto the cupcakes or plop on large dollops.
* Dream Whip can be omitted from this recipe, it just helps to provide the texture of the frosting. I found it in the Jello/pudding aisle on the top shelf next to the tapioca pudding and gelatin mixes.
I tried using the largest tip I had (Ateco #7 star tip) but the mini chocolate chips still kept getting caught and wouldn’t allow me to pipe on the frosting like I had intended. Maybe a 1A (round pipe tip) would have worked, but mine seems to have disappeared.
This seriously tastes just like cookie dough bits that you would find in ice cream (just not cold obviously). I couldn’t get over how tasty it was and might have enjoyed a spoonful or two before finishing decorating the cupcakes. Everyone else loved this as well and then I took the remaining 12 cupcakes to work the next day which promptly disappeared.