Better luck next month!
I’ve seen quite a few recipes where people have brined chicken in sweet tea but I was always hesitant to do it because Tom doesn’t like tea and I was worried the flavors of the tea would be too strong in the chicken.
Sweet Tea Brined Chicken with Honey Mustard Dipping Sauce
Source: Cookaholic Wife creation
- 2 cups sweet tea
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 tsp. olive oil
- 2 slices orange or lemon
- 2 tbsp. fresh basil leaves
- salt and pepper
- honey mustard sauce (like Tessemae’s)
1. Pour the tea into a sealable bag and place the chicken inside. Place in a bowl in case of leaks and refrigerate overnight.
2. Preheat the oven to 400. Discard the chicken from the tea marinade.
3. Heat the olive oil in an oven-safe skillet over medium high heat. Season both sides of the chicken breasts with salt and pepper. Place in the skillet and cook for 1-2 minutes per side, just until there is a light sear on both sides.
4. Add the orange or lemon slices and the basil to the skillet and transfer to the oven, baking for 20-25 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through.
5. Slice and serve with a honey mustard sauce.
I know most tea brines actually use tea bags vs. prepared sweet tea but I had already purchased the tea and figured I might as well try it out. The flavor wasn’t discernible at all, but the chicken was really juicy.