To make it more of a meal, I chose to add in hard-boiled eggs and to me, no salad is complete without cucumbers. I chose kale over lettuce in this case because its heartier and I wanted to put the dressing on this salad in advance. Lettuce like romaine, arugula, iceberg, etc. would all end up wilting after it sat too long in the dressing. By using a green like kale, the dressing actually helps to break down the hearty, toughness of the kale making it easier to eat.
Source: Cookaholic Wife Creation
- 2 cups kale, stems removed
- 2 hard-boiled eggs
- 2 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled
- ¼ cup cucumber slices
- 6 cherry tomatoes, halved
- Tessemae’s Cracked Black Pepper dressing
1. Cut or tear the kale leaves into smaller pieces and place in a bowl. Pour the dressing on top and toss to coat. Allow to sit for at least 15 minutes to soften the kale. (You can allow the dressing to marinate into the kale leaves overnight if desired)
2. Add the eggs, bacon, cucumber and tomatoes to the bowl. Toss to coat, adding additional dressing if desired.
One thing the Whole30 and Paleo adventures I have gone on have taught me is that you don’t need to eat certain foods for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Eat what you want at any meal you want. I had this salad for breakfast.
I’ve recently started tracking macros, so if you’re doing the same here is the breakdown for this recipe:
Calories: 324 Carbs: 13 Protein: 20 Fat: 25 (Based off 1 tbsp. dressing)