We spent the previous week on vacation. Compulsive list-maker that I am, I have to make sure everything is done before we can leave. One of the things on that list is to clean out the refrigerator and pantry as much as possible. No one wants to come home to expired, gross food, right?
The meal plan I make for the week before vacation is usually pretty basic. Very easy meals that don’t take much time to prep and use up the ingredients that we have leftover. While the concept of a jalapeno popper burger is not at all new, I came up with this based off the ingredients that would otherwise need to be tossed before a week of vacation.
The only ingredient I needed to buy to make these burgers was the jalapenos. I love when I can do that! It helps to keep the grocery list shorter and the bill down!
Source: Cookaholic Wife Creation
Servings: 4 burgers
- 1 lb. lean ground turkey
- 3 oz. cream cheese, softened
- 1 jalapeno pepper, minced
- 1 egg, beaten
- ¼ cup Panko breadcrumbs
- ¼ cup onion, minced
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- salt and pepper
- 2 tbsp. mayo
- 4 slices pepperjack cheese
- 4 slices bacon, cooked
- 4 slices tomato
- 4 slices lettuce
- 4 burger buns
1. In a large bowl combine the ground turkey, cream cheese, jalapeno pepper, egg, Panko, onion, garlic powder and salt and pepper.
2. Form into 4 equal sized patties. (Wear food prep gloves so you don’t get the jalapenos on your hands.) Place on a plate and refrigerate until ready to cook.
3. Heat a grill or grill plate to medium-high heat
4. Place the burgers on the grill and grill for 3-4 minutes on each side, adding a slice of cheese at the last minute of cooking or until just melted.
5. Meanwhile lightly toast the burger buns, then spread the mayo on top. Add a slice of lettuce and tomato and top with the burger patty.
6. Cut a slice of bacon in half and place on top of the patty, topping with the other half of the bun.