I’ve never been a huge fan of cake preferring the ice cream variety for birthdays because I find the traditional stuff to be too dense. Which explains why I really enjoy the light airiness of angel food cake. It’s more like a sponge than a cake, bouncing back instantly if you were to poke it with your finger. It’s slightly sticky and a hint sweet and if I ever make myself cake, it is always my first choice.
I saw an image on pinterest, cubes of angel food cake on skewers between strawberries and drizzled with white chocolate. “Those would be perfect to take to my mom’s one weekend” I thought and picked up the ingredients the next time I went to the store.
In hindsight, this is would probably would better with a loaf of pound cake because it’s denser and can easily stay on the skewers. The angel food cake cubes broke easily and slid around a little too much, but it still worked out.
Inspired by: pinterest image
Servings: 12-16 skewers
- 1 angel food cake
- 1 pint strawberries
- 4 blocks vanilla almond bark or 1 package white chocolate melts
- short skewers
1. Cut the angel food cake into cubes.
2. Cut off the tops of the strawberries and then slice into 1” thick rounds, leaving pointed bottom pieces as toppers for the skewers.
3. Alternate between angel food cake cubes and strawberry rounds on the skewer, topping with the bottom of a strawberry.
4. Repeat until all skewers are full.
5. Add vanilla almond bark or white chocolate melts to a microwave safe bowl. Microwave in 30-second intervals, stirring after each, until smooth.
6. Transfer the melted chocolate to a pastry bag fitted with a small tip or place into a plastic ziptop bag. Snip off the end of the bag and drizzle the white chocolate onto the skewers in a zigzag fashion.
7. Refrigerate the skewers for 20 minutes or until the chocolate has hardened. Flip over and drizzle the white chocolate on the other side. Refrigerate 20 minutes more, then serve.
This is a super simple and easy recipe to make. They were devoured at my moms and when I made them a second time to take into work, the same thing happened. You simply can’t go wrong with fresh fruit, white chocolate and angel food cake!