May’s theme for #FillTheCookieJar is Mother’s Day. #FillTheCookieJar is a blogging event hosted by Cynthia of Feeding Big. Each month a theme is assigned and bloggers can share either a cookie or bar that fits in with the theme.
I don’t think my mom has a favorite cookie so this stumped me for a few minutes. She likes candies, especially dark chocolate better and I realized I had never made an all chocolate cookie with dark chocolate. Challenge accepted!
As I’ve mentioned, my mom is good at burning a lot of things, so it cracked me up that while melting these cookies, I underestimated the power of my microwave and ended up burning a little bit of the chocolate. Luckily, I had enough to start over (and lower the microwave power to below the suggested amount in the recipe) and all went well from there.
#FillTheCookieJar: Jumbo Dark Chocolate Chip Cookies
Jumbo Dark Chocolate Chip cookies are rich on flavor and full of chocolately goodness.
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 18 mins
- Total Time: 28 mins
- Yield: 12-15 cookies
- Category: Cookies
- Method: Baking
- 10 oz. package dark chocolate morsels, divided
- 1 stick unsalted butter, softened
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- ¼ cup cocoa powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
1. Preheat the oven to 325 degrees and line two large cookie sheets with silpats or parchment paper.
2. Add ⅔ cup of the dark chocolate morsels to a microwave safe bowl and microwave at 70% power for 30 seconds. Remove and stir, then continue microwaving at 15 second intervals, stirring after each until morsels are fully melted.
3. In the bowl of a stand mixer, combine butter and brown sugar and beat on medium speed until light and fluffy. Add the egg and vanilla extract and beat until combined.
4. Sift together the flour, brown sugar, baking soda and salt.
5. Add the melted chocolate to the mixer on low speed, mixing until combined, then add the flour mixture. Stir in the remaining chocolate chips by hand.
6. Use an ice cream scoop or ¼ cup scoop to drop rounded spoonfuls onto the prepared baking sheets, 3 inches apart.
7. Bake for 16-18 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
8. Allow to cool on the baking sheet for 5 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to continue cooling.
Keywords: jumbo dark chocolate chip cookies, cookies, baking, chocolate
These cookies are rich and a perfect balance of crumbly and chewy. I took them to work where they were promptly devoured.
Check out what everyone else made:
Cherry Meringue Topped Cookie Bars by Wine Lady Cooks