Chrusciki, sometimes referred to as Polish Angel Wings, are fried dough cookies coated in powdered sugar.
1. In a medium bowl beat together the egg, egg yolks, rum, vanilla extract and salt until blended.
2. Slowly add in the powdered sugar, whisking until smooth and incorporated. Transfer the mixture to the bowl of a stand mixer with the dough hook attached.
3. Add the flour and mix on low speed until a soft dough forms. Increase to medium speed until dough pulls away from the bowl and is elastic and smooth.
4. Turn out the dough onto a lightly floured surface and knead by hand for 1-2 minutes.
5. Divide the dough into 3 pieces and roll out each into a rectangle, about 12 in x 5 in.
6. Cut each rectangle of dough into strips, 1 ½ inches wide. Cut a ¾ inch slit in the center of each piece and pull one of the ends through it, forming a bow-like shape.
7. Heat oil in a dutch oven or deep skillet over medium high heat until hot. Fry dough in small batches for 1-2 minutes on each side or until golden brown.
8. Transfer to a plate lined with a paper towel to remove excess oil. Sprinkle with powdered sugar while still hot.
Source: All Recipes
Keywords: chrusciki, polish angel wings, cookies, fried dough cookies,