When I saw that the ingredient for January’s Fantastical Food Fight was oatmeal, my first thought was “I wonder if you can make muffins using steel cut oats?”
#FantasticalFoodFight: Blueberry Steel Cut Oatmeal Muffins
Blueberry Steel Cut Oatmeal Muffins are a filling and healthy choice for breakfast.
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 30 mins
- Total Time: 40 mins
- Yield: 16-18 muffins
- Category: Muffins
- Method: Baking
For the Steel Cut Oats:
- ⅔ cup water
- ⅔ cup milk or non-dairy milk
- ½ cup dry steel cut oats
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ½ tsp salt
For the Muffins:
- 1 ½ cups whole-wheat flour
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 2 ½ tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp baking soda
- 5 oz. plain (or vanilla) Greek yogurt
- ½ cup unsweetened applesauce
- ½ cup milk or non-dairy milk
- ½ cup coconut sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 cup frozen blueberries tossed in 1 tsp all purpose flour
- Prepare the oatmeal by adding all of the oatmeal ingredients to a medium saucepan over medium high heat. Bring to a rolling boil, then reduce to a simmer, until the oats have absorbed nearly all of the liquid, about 12 minutes.
- While the oatmeal is cooking, preheat the oven to 375 and line cavities of two muffin pans with paper liners.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the whole wheat flour, all purpose flour, baking powder, cinnamon, and baking soda. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the Greek yogurt, applesauce, milk, coconut sugar, and vanilla until combined.
- Once the oatmeal has been cooked, add a heaping 1 cup of oatmeal to the yogurt mixture, stirring until combined. Add in the flour mixture and mix until no large lumps remain. Gently fold in the blueberries. (The batter will be very thick)
- Scoop the batter into the prepared muffin tins, filling each ¾ of the way full. Bake for 18 minute or until golden brown and the muffins spring back lightly when poked.
Note: 1 cup prepared steel cut oats may also be used
Source: NY Times
Keywords: blueberry steel cut oatmeal muffins, muffins, breakfast, steel cut oatmeal
These muffins are not very sweet, but they are really hearty and filling and bursting with blueberry flavor. The oatmeal makes the muffins really dense but they’re not dry or chewy by any means.