Disclaimer: I received product samples from sponsor companies to aid in the creation of #Choctoberfest recipes. All opinions are mine alone.
Can you believe that it’s the middle of October? I still can’t figure out where this year went but I’m pretty happy that we’ve had an extended summer, even if the humidity has been present. This is the first week we’ve had that has come with actual cool temperatures. Which is great, because it seems weird to me to share a Halloween recipe with you when it’s still in the 80’s. Florida bloggers, I don’t know how you do it!
I don’t know about you, but I love sprinkles. They just make everything prettier and better in my opinion. Which is why I was thrilled when I found out I that SprinklePop was going to be one of the sponsors for #Choctoberfest. I had such a hard time choosing which sprinkles I wanted to receive. Have you looked at how many options they have on their website? It’s practically endless and I wanted them ALL! Did you know that they can create custom bespoke sprinkle blends dyed in the colors of your choosing? If you can dream it, they can create it as a sprinkle mix. How awesome is that?
Check out their social media here:
Since Halloween is right around the corner, I knew I wanted to use their sprinkles to make a spooky Halloween dessert. I thought about brownies or fudge, or a popcorn mix, but eventually decided on doughnuts. Why? Because Halloween is typically celebrated in the evenings. You trick or treat at night, but why not start off your holiday right with a breakfast choice perfect for Halloween?
Monster Mash Chocolate Baked Doughnuts
Halloween should start at breakfast and these adorably spooky Monster Mash baked chocolate doughnuts are the perfect choice.
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 10 mins
- Total Time: 25 mins
- Yield: 8 1x
- Category: Doughnuts
- Method: Baking
For the Doughnuts:
- 2/3 cup buttermilk
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 3 tbsp unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
For the Glaze:
- 3/4 cup powdered sugar
- 3 tbsp cocoa powder
- 2 –4 tbsp milk
- 2 tsp corn syrup
- SprinklePop Monster Mashup Sprinkles
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Spray a doughnut pan with non-stick cooking spray.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the buttermilk, egg, brown sugar, sugar, butter and vanilla.
- In a large bowl, whisk the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and mix until just combined.
- Pour the batter into the cavity of each doughnut filling each about 3/4 of the way full.
- Bake for 10 minutes, then place pan on a wire rack to cool.
- While the doughnuts are cooling, prepare the glaze by whisking together the powdered sugar and cocoa powder. Add in the milk one tablespoon at a time until it is combined. Carefully whisk in the corn syrup until the glaze is thick and shiny.
- Place a baking sheet lined with foil under the rack holding the doughnuts. Dip the tops of each cooled doughnut into the glaze and place back on the prepared rack, allowing the excess to drip off onto the foil. Cover with Monster Mashup sprinkles. Repeat with remaining doughnuts.
Doughnuts are best served the day of, but can be kept in an airtight container for 2-3 days.
Keywords: doughnuts, baked doughnuts, chocolate glaze, sprinkles, halloween, choctoberfest
Aren’t these adorable? How can you not love a chocolate doughnut covered with spooky looking eyeball, ghost and pumpkin sprinkles? You can’t, simple as that!
Don’t forget about the incredible giveaway worth more than $400! Enter below: