Honey Oatmeal Bread
Slightly chewy and sweet, Honey Oatmeal Bread is easy to make and tastes delicious with a drizzle of honey.
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 50 mins
- Total Time: 1 hour 5 mins
- Yield: 1 loaf
- Category: Bread
- Method: Baking
For the Bread:
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup honey
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter, softened
- 1 packet instant (rapid rise) yeast
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup rolled oats
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1/2 tsp oil
- 3 tbsp honey
- 1/8 – 1/4 cup rolled oats
- Combine milk and water in a small saucepan and heat to 110 degrees.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, add the honey, butter, yeast and salt and oats. Pour the milk and water into the stand mixer and let stand for 5 minutes.
- Add in the all-purpose flour and whole wheat flour and mix on low speed until just combined, then switch to a dough hook and mix on medium speed for 7-10 minutes or until the dough is smooth and elastic.
- Add oil to a large bowl and smear with a paper towel to coat. Turn out the dough into the bowl, turn over to cover in oil, then cover the bowl with a kitchen towel or plastic wrap and place in a warm location until the dough doubles in size, about 1 hour.
- Place a piece of parchment into a loaf pan, leaving excess on the edges to easily remove.
- Lightly flour a workspace and turn out the dough. Roll into a 9×13 rectangle and place into the prepared loaf pan, tucking the ends under. Cover and let rest for 45 minutes.
- Once rested, preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Add the topping honey to a microwave safe dish and microwave for 30 seconds or until just able to be easily drizzled.
- Drizzle the honey on top of the dough and sprinkle the rolled oats on top.
- Bake for 45-50 minutes or until lightly golden.
- Remove from the oven and place loaf pan on a wire rack. Let cool for 15 minutes, then remove bread from the loaf pan and continue cooling on the wire rack.
Keywords: honey oatmeal bread, improv cooking challenge, yeast bread