When I was around 10 or 11 a new sub shop opened near our house and sent out a menu. I happened to get the mail that day and decided to flip through the menu to see if this place was offering anything better than the others in the area. My eyes stopped in the appetizers section on ‘jalapeno poppers with cream cheese’. I’d never had a jalapeno popper before but I instinctively knew they’d be delicious.
The next time my mom wanted to order out for dinner, I suggested that sub shop so I could get the jalapeno poppers. They were just as delicious as I expected them to be. Almost every time I order food from a sub shop, I order jalapeno poppers now. I’m still not a huge fan of them made with cheddar cheese, but I’ll eat them just the same.
So when I found this recipe for Jalapeno Popper Chicken, I knew I needed to make it right away. I’ve actually made this quite a few times but never blogged it. We had this again recently and I finally remember to take a picture, so here you go.Print
Jalapeno Popper Chicken
- Yield: 4 1x
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 4 slices pepperjack cheese
- 2 eggs
- 1 large jalapeno, seeded and minced
- 1/2 cup Panko bread crumbs
- 1 tsp. chili powder
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
1. Spray a 9×13 baking dish with non-stick cooking spray. Preheat the oven to 350.
2. In a shallow dish , whisk together the eggs with a splash or two of water. In another dish combine the Panko, chili powder and oregano.
3. Slice into each chicken breast like you would to butterfly it, but do not open the ends. Stuff each pocket with pepperjack cheese and jalapenos.
4. Dip each chicken breast into the egg wash then into the Panko mixture, coating on all sides and then place into the prepared baking dish. Spray the tops of the chicken lightly with cooking spray.
5. Bake for 35-45 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through and the bread crumbs are golden brown.
Source: Tastes, Tales and Tours
I always get bored with making chicken even though I’m sure there are millions of different ways to prepare it but this is definitely one of my favorite ways to do so.