It was the end of the week and I realized I didn’t have a side dish planned for dinner. A quick look in the fridge informed me that we had about 1 1/2 cups of corn kernels from corn on the cob and a leftover red pepper. I first thought about doing a corn and red pepper rice, but when I opened the pantry I spotted the quinoa first.
I rarely think to cook with quinoa. Mostly because I am completely paranoid those tiny little quinoa pieces will explode from the pot and take over my kitchen. They’ve done it before… Nevertheless, I decided people are always looking for new quinoa recipes so I might as well provide them with one. 🙂Print
Quinoa Corn Salad
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 35 mins
- Total Time: 45 mins
- Yield: 6 1x
- Category: Salad, Side Dish
- Method: Stovetop
- 1 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup quinoa
- 1 1/2 cups corn kernels
- 1 red pepper, diced
- 2 tbsp. butter
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1. Combine the chicken broth and quinoa together in a large saucepan and cooking according to quinoa package directions.
- 2. Meanwhile melt the butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the corn and red pepper and cook for 7-8 minutes or until soft. Remove from the heat, but cover to keep warm.
- 3. Once the quinoa is cooked, stir in the corn, red pepper, and parsley. Season with salt and pepper to taste
Keywords: corn, quinoa, bell pepper, salad, side dish,
For a fairly simple recipe, I was impressed with this. The flavors melded together nicely. It was super filling and I took the leftovers for lunch the next day.