Yep, you read that title right. Today, I’m sharing a recipe with you that not only fits for #PumpkinWeek, but also for #FilltheCookieJar. It’s October and pumpkin is everywhere so it was only fitting to make one recipe that would work for both blogging events.
#FilltheCookieJar is a group of bloggers who share a cookie (or bar) recipes each month based on a theme. Our host is Cynthia of Feeding Big.
#PumpkinWeek is a blogging event hosted by Terri of Love and Confections where 30+ bloggers are sharing our favorite pumpkin creations throughout the week.
Personally, I think you can never go wrong with streusel. I mean, its brown sugar and butter. How could that ever be a bad thing?
#FilltheCookieJar #PumpkinWeek: Pumpkin Streusel Bars
Pumpkin Streusel Bars are full of pumpkin flavor and topped with a buttery brown sugar topping.
- Prep Time: 10
- Cook Time: 40 mins
- Total Time: 50 mins
- Yield: 16 bars 1x
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Baking
for the bars:
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- 1 tsp salt
- 15 oz. can pumpkin puree
- 2 very ripe bananas, mashed*
- 1 cup unsweetened applesauce*
- 1 ½ cups sugar
for the topping:
- ⅓ cup all-purpose flour
- ½ cup sugar
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ½ tsp pumpkin pie spice
- 4 tbsp. Unsalted butter, cold and cut into small pieces
for the glaze:
- 1 ½ cups powdered sugar
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter, softened
- 1 tbsp. Almond milk
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 9×13 baking dish with non-stick cooking spray.
2. Combine the flour, baking powder, pumpkin pie spice and salt together in a bowl. Set aside. In the bowl of your stand mixer, combine canned pumpkin, mashed bananas, applesauce and sugar. Mix on medium speed with the paddle attachment until combined.
3. Slowly add the flour mixture into the wet ingredients, mixing until combined.
4. Pour the batter into the prepared baking dish.
5. Prepare the streusel topping by adding the flour, sugar, brown sugar and pumpkin pie spice to a medium bowl. Cut in the butter with a fork or pastry cutter until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
6. Pour the streusel mixture on top of the pumpkin batter. Bake for 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
7. Prepare the glaze by adding the butter and powdered sugar to the bowl of a stand mixer and beating on medium speed until combined. Slowly add in the almond milk until it reaches a consistency where it can be drizzled.
8. Drizzle the glaze over the slightly cooled pumpkin bars. Allow to cool completely before slicing and serving.
I substituted 4 eggs with 2 medium bananas and 1 cup vegetable oil with 1 cup applesauce.
Keywords: pumpkin streusel bars, pumpkin, brown sugar, baking, bars, dessert
I’m not sure I’ve mentioned it before but I have a coworker who is vegan and I feel bad that he can’t eat the baked goods that I bring in. I don’t want to list this recipe as vegan, as I did not use a vegan butter, but that is something he is not as strict about. You’d also need to confirm that the brown sugar you are using is vegan. If the sugar is organic, it’s likely compliant to the vegan lifestyle.
The pumpkin bars are fluffy and moist with just a hint of crunch from the streusel topping. As I said, you can never go wrong with brown sugar!
Here are today’s #PumpkinWeek recipes:
Savory Pumpkin Recipes:
Pumpkin Farrotto from Culinary Adventures with Camilla
Pumpkin Quesadilla from Making Miracles
Sweet Pumpkin Recipes:
Cinnamon Pumpkin Muddy Buddies from Love and Confections.
Pumpkin Cheesecake Truffles from The Crumby Kitchen
Pumpkin Chip Cookies from Palatable Pastime
Pumpkin Cinnamon Rolls from They Nifty Foodie
Pumpkin Coffee Cake from The Chef Next Door
Pumpkin Cookies with Cream Cheese Frosting from Daily Dish Recipes
Pumpkin Cream Cheese Danish from It Bakes Me Happy
Pumpkin Cream Puffs from The Redhead Baker
Pumpkin Creme Brulee from Kudos Kitchen by Renee
Pumpkin Oatmeal Cookies from A Day in the Life on the Farm
Pumpkin Snack Cake from A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
Pumpkin Struesel Bar from Cookaholic Wife
Slow Cooker Pumpkin Butter from Mildly Meandering
Spiced Pumpkin Mini Cakes with Mulled Cranberries & Brandy Brown Butter Glaze from Bacon Fatte
Check out what the other #FilltheCookieJar Bloggers made:
Pumpkin Chip Cookies from Palatable Pastime
Pumpkin Cheesecake Bars with Ginger Snap Crust by That Recipe
Pumpkin Pie Tastes by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
Pumpkin Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies from A Day in the Life on the Farm
Chai Pumpkin Spice Cookies from Marly’s This and That
Pumpkin Streusel Bars From Cookaholic Wife