Sea scallops are caramelized and then coated in an orange rum sauce.
1. Place scallops on a plate and pat dry with a paper towel.
2. Drizzle 1 tbsp olive oil over the scallops and sprinkle paprika, crushed red pepper, salt and pepper on both sides.
3. Add the remaining ½ tbsp of olive oil to a large skillet over medium high heat. Add the garlic cloves and cook for 2-3 minutes or until the garlic is golden. Remove garlic from the pan and discard.
4. Use tongs to place scallops into the skillet, cooking for 1-2 minutes on each side or until golden brown and seared.
5. Transfer scallops to a plate and set aside.
6. Lift the pan from the heat and pour in the rum, then place back over the burner and use a spatula to scrape up the browned bits from the bottom. Add in the orange juice and orange zest.
7. Simmer until the mixture reduces by half, then stir in the butter. Once the butter has melted, turn off the heat and return the scallops to the pan, along with the orange slices and sprinkle the parsley on top.
8. Spoon the sauce over the scallops then divide among plates.
Adapted from: Ciao Florentina
Keywords: scallops, orange, rum