- 1 stick unsalted butter, at room temperature
- zest from 1 lemon
- ¾ cup + 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 egg, at room temperature
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. kosher salt
- 2 cups fresh blueberries
- ½ cup buttermilk
- 1 tablespoon sugar
1. Preheat oven to 350. Spray a 9x9 or 8x8 baking dish with non-stick cooking spray.
2. In the bowl of your stand mixer with the paddle attachment, cream butter, lemon zest and sugar together until light and fluffy.
3. Add the egg and vanilla and beat until combined.
4. Separate out ¼ cup of all purpose flour and toss the blueberries in it.
5. In a large bowl, add the remaining flour, baking powder and salt. Add the flour mixture to your stand mixer a little at a time, alternating with the buttermilk, until fully combined. Fold in blueberries with a spatula.
6. Spread batter into the prepared pan. Sprinkle with the tablespoon of sugar.
7. Bake for 35-45 minutes or until golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Let cool on a wire rack for 15 minutes before serving.
I opted to have this for breakfast last week and it was quite delicious! Probably not the healthiest choice I could have made, but the lemon zest shined through nicely (and always pairs so well with blueberries) and it was really filling.