A fried green tomato BLT is the perfect summer sandwich, using up those green tomatoes, bacon, lettuce and a spicy remoulade sauce.
Update: This post was originally shared in January 2016. In January 2021 it was republished with new photos and an improved recipe.
I don't know about you, but I love a good fried green tomato. And I really love bacon, so why not combine the two into a sandwich fit for those hot days of summer?
Are you a fan of fried green tomatoes? Well, hopefully you are if you're reading this post. I am sad to admit that I was in my twenties before I had ever tried one. There is no excuse, I live in Maryland and we're southern enough to serve these at quite a few restaurants.
What kind of tomato to use?
A firm one. Green tomatoes are typically unripe tomatoes, so they're firmer than their ripened, red counterparts which allows them to stand up to the heat of being fried without becoming mushy. Beefsteak and heirloom are good varieties, as are whatever full sized tomato you are growing in your garden.
Ingredients for this sandwich
- fried green tomatoes
- rye or thick country white bread
- bacon - thick cut, smoked, hickory - it's your choice
- lettuce - I like green leaf but any kind you have on hand will do
- remoulade sauce (recipe below)
How to make a fried green tomato blt sandwich
- Toast your bread
- Slather remoulade sauce onto one piece of bread
- layer with lettuce, followed by strips of cooked bacon
- place two fried green tomatoes on top
- drizzle more remoulade sauce on top of the tomatoes
- add the top piece of bread, slice in half and enjoy!
What's the best sauce to use?
A remoulade sauce is the most common sauce for fried green tomatoes sandwich. The flavor is similar to a tartar sauce, but more spicy. Remoulade is a French sauce, served cold. It's mostly used on seafood dishes, like po boy sandwiches and crab cakes.
If you aren't a remoulade fan, fried green tomatoes can also be served with ranch dressing. Or you could use mayo for this sandwich.
Can you reheat a fried green tomato?
Surprisingly, yes! Once your fried green tomatoes have fully cooled, you can store them in a container, with parchment paper in between. Keep them in the fridge for 2-3 days.
Stovetop Directions: heat a skillet over medium high heat and add tomatoes. Cook for 1-2 minutes on each side, until just heated through.
Toaster Oven: place tomatoes on the rack and use the toast or bake setting for 2-4 minutes. Cooking times will vary based off your toaster oven so make sure to check the tomatoes frequently as you're reheating them.
Air Fryer: 375 degrees for 3 minutes will toast them right back up
Want to save this recipe for later? Follow me on Pinterest! Rather watch a video? See if I've made this recipe by following me on Tiktok!
Fried Green Tomato BLT
For the Remoulade Sauce
- 3 tablespoon mayo
- 1 tablespoon dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon hot sauce
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
For the BLT Sandwich
- 4 slices green tomatoes fried
- 4 slices rye bread
- 4 slices bacon cooked
- Whisk all of the ingredients for the remoulade sauce together. Taste, and add more mayo if it is too spicy for your liking.
- Toast the bread.
- Spread remoulade sauce onto two pieces of bread.
- Layer lettuce on top of the remoulade sauce, followed by two pieces of bacon for each sandwich.
- Add 2 fried green tomato slices onto each sandwich. Drizzle the remaining remoulade sauce on top of the tomatoes.
- Top each sandwich with the remaining piece of bread and slice in half.
Recipes on Cookaholic Wife are for information purposes only. Nutritional Data provided has not been evaluated by a nutritionist.