Can you believe that it’s the middle of October? I still can’t figure out where this year went but I’m pretty happy that we’ve had an extended summer, even if the humidity has been present. This is the first week we’ve had that has come with actual cool temperatures. Which is great, because it seems weird to me to share a Halloween recipe with you when it’s still in the 80’s. Florida bloggers, I don’t know how you do it!
I don’t know about you, but I love sprinkles. They just make everything prettier and better in my opinion.
Since Halloween is right around the corner, I knew I wanted to use their sprinkles to make a spooky Halloween dessert. I thought about brownies or fudge, or a popcorn mix, but eventually decided on doughnuts. Why? Because Halloween is typically celebrated in the evenings. You trick or treat at night, but why not start off your holiday right with a breakfast choice perfect for Halloween?
Monster Mash Chocolate Baked Doughnuts
For the Doughnuts:
- 2/3 cup buttermilk
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 3 tbsp unsalted butter melted and cooled
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
For the Glaze:
- 3/4 cup powdered sugar
- 3 tbsp cocoa powder
- 2 -4 tbsp milk
- 2 tsp corn syrup
- SprinklePop Monster Mashup Sprinkles
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Spray a doughnut pan with non-stick cooking spray.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the buttermilk, egg, brown sugar, sugar, butter and vanilla.
- In a large bowl, whisk the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and mix until just combined.
- Pour the batter into the cavity of each doughnut filling each about 3/4 of the way full.
- Bake for 10 minutes, then place pan on a wire rack to cool.
- While the doughnuts are cooling, prepare the glaze by whisking together the powdered sugar and cocoa powder. Add in the milk one tablespoon at a time until it is combined. Carefully whisk in the corn syrup until the glaze is thick and shiny.
- Place a baking sheet lined with foil under the rack holding the doughnuts. Dip the tops of each cooled doughnut into the glaze and place back on the prepared rack, allowing the excess to drip off onto the foil. Cover with Monster Mashup sprinkles. Repeat with remaining doughnuts.
Recipes on Cookaholic Wife are for information purposes only. Nutritional Data provided has not been evaluated by a nutritionist.
Aren’t these adorable? How can you not love a chocolate doughnut covered with spooky looking eyeball, ghost and pumpkin sprinkles? You can’t, simple as that!