As I’ve mentioned before, I’m not the biggest fan of sloppy joes but since I’d never had them in the crock pot, I was definitely intrigued to try out this recipe. It’s not your typical crock pot recipe that takes hours and hours either, you could easily whip this up in the morning for an afternoon game since it only takes 2 hours in the crock pot.
- 2 lbs. very lean ground beef
- ½ large green pepper, chopped
- ¼ red onion, finely chopped
- 1 ½ cups ketchup
- 8 oz. tomato sauce
- 3 tbsp. brown sugar
- 3 tsp. mustard
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- ½ tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. pepper
1. Heat a skillet over medium-high heat and add the ground beef, green pepper and onion. Cook, stirring frequently until beef is browned. Drain any fat.
2. Add the mixture to the crock pot, then add the remaining ingredients. Stir well to combine.
3. Cook on low for 2 hours. Serve on toasted buns.
Irony. We live it. I really, really liked this version of a sloppy joe. I topped mine with a few thin slices of pepperjack cheese and found it to be amazing. I can only assume its because of the mustard since I’ve never had a sloppy joe recipe call for mustard before. Now for the ironic part, Tom thought these were just okay.
Seriously? I rarely ever make sloppy joes because I usually can barely choke down a whole sandwich and now that I found a recipe where I could easily eat two, he’s not super impressed? ::Sigh::
And thanks again to Sarah for organizing all these swaps! 🙂