Perfect Creamy Mashed Potatoes
If you need to know how to make perfect, creamy mashed potatoes, this is the recipe for you! Made with Yukon Gold potatoes for that extra buttery flavor and a Cookaholic Wife tip to make them perfectly fluffy, these homemade mashed potatoes will be the star of your dinner table.
- 5 lbs Yukon Gold potatoes
- 1 stick unsalted butter cut into tablespoons
- ½ cup heavy cream at room temperature
- ½ cup milk at room temperature
- ½ cup sour cream at room temperature
- salt and pepper to taste
Wash, peel and cut your potatoes into evenly sized pieces.
Add potatoes to a large pot. Add cold water and 1 tablespoon salt and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat slightly and let the potatoes simmer until fork tender, about 15 minutes.
Drain the potatoes, reserving ¼ cup of the cooking liquid. Set aside.
Return the potatoes to the pot and lightly mash by hand. Then transfer the potatoes to the bowl of a stand mixer.
Mix on low speed, slowly adding in the butter, cream, milk and sour cream until they're light and fluffy.
Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Always add COLD water to potatoes before boiling. Using hot water will cause the potatoes to cook inconsistently.
- Don't use cold milk, cream or sour cream. It's easier for the potatoes to absorb when they are room temperature. But don't melt the butter. Butter needs to be cold or at room temperature.
- Don't overmix or the potatoes will become gluey. Let the mixer run until they look fully mixed, but as you transfer them to a bowl or container, remove any unmashed pieces, mash by hand and then add back into the mashed potatoes.
- To make mashed potatoes ahead of time see my Mashed Potatoes for a Crowd recipe
Serving: 1svgCalories: 408kcalCarbohydrates: 51gProtein: 7gFat: 21gSaturated Fat: 13gCholesterol: 60mgSodium: 42mgPotassium: 1245mgFiber: 6gSugar: 3gVitamin A: 686IUVitamin C: 56mgCalcium: 80mgIron: 2mg
Recipes on Cookaholic Wife are for information purposes only. Nutritional Data provided has not been evaluated by a nutritionist.