1. In the bowl of your stand mixer, combine butter and 1 ½ cups of sugar and beat on medium speed until light and fluffy, about 5 minutes.
2. Add the egg and vanilla and mix until combined, then add in the pumpkin puree. .
3. In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, cinnamon and salt.
4. Slowly add the flour mixture into the mixer on low speed until combined and dough is formed.
5. urn out dough onto a piece of parchment or wax paper, roll up and refrigerate for at least 20 minutes but up to overnight.
6. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and line two large baking sheets with parchment paper. Fill a small bowl with ½ cup sugar.
7. Remove the dough from the fridge and scoop out 1-inch balls of dough. Roll the dough in the bowl of sugar until coated. Place on the prepared baking sheet and press down lightly to flatten the dough.
8. Repeat with remaining dough, spacing cookies 2 inches apart. (Depending on the size of your baking sheet, you’ll be able to fit 8-12 cookies per sheet.)
9. Bake for 5 minutes, then rotate the pan and bake for another 5 minutes. Cookies will be just barely golden and still a little soft in the center. Remove from the oven and allow to cool on the pan for 2 minutes before transferring to a cooling rack to finish cooling.