1. Preheat the oven to 425. Line a baking sheet with a silicone mat or parchment paper.
2. In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
3. Add the cubed butter and mix in until it resembles coarse crumbs. Pour in the buttermilk and stir until combined and dough has formed a ball.
4. Sprinkle flour onto a flat surface and turn the dough out. Knead the dough a few times and then roll out to ½ inch thickness.
5. Using a biscuit cutter, glass, or cookie cutter, cut out rounds of dough. Place the dough onto the baking sheet.
6. Brush the tops of the dough with buttermilk and bake for 12-15 minutes or until lightly golden brown.
7. Transfer the biscuits to a wire rack to continue cooling.