Thanksgiving leftovers. Either you have tons of them and your fridge is just as full as it was on the holiday or you have none at all and are kind of sad that you can’t at least make yourself a sandwich with the leftover turkey.
I ended up with a fridge-full of leftovers this year and I spent the weekend making recipes using them up. By now you’ve probably tossed whatever was left in your fridge, but these will all be here for you next year.
This recipe is one of my favorites because it uses up the most amount of leftovers that could be hanging around waiting to either be eaten or tossed. You can easily add in other leftovers you might have (corn, lima beans, sweet potatoes, green beans) or if you don’t have any leftovers at all, you could still make this using with pretty minimal prep.
Thanksgiving Leftover Shepherd’s Pie
Shepherd’s pie is a great way to use up that leftover turkey, veggies and mashed potatoes from Thanksgiving dinner.
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 45 mins
- Total Time: 55 mins
- Yield: 6-8
- Category: Turkey
- Method: Oven
- 2 ½ cups prepared stuffing/dressing
- 3 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 cup peas
- 1 cup carrots, diced
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 tsp garlic, minced
- 1 tsp ground sage
- ½ tsp rosemary
- ½ tsp thyme
- ½ tsp each, salt and pepper
- 3 tbsp all purpose flour
- 1 ½ cups chicken/turkey/vegetable stock
- 1 ¼ cup cooked turkey, shredded
- 2 ½ cups prepared mashed potatoes
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Spray an 8×8 baking dish with non-stick spray.
- Press the stuffing mixture into the bottom of the dish, covering it entirely.
- Melt the butter in a large skillet over medium high heat. Add the peas, carrots and onions and cook for 5 minutes, or until softened. Add the garlic and cook 1 minute more.
- Stir in the sage, rosemary, thyme, salt and pepper. Sprinkle the flour over the mixture and stir until the vegetables are coated.
- Pour in the stock and stir frequently, until the mixture has thickened. Stir in the turkey until combined.
- Pour the mixture over the stuffing and then top with mashed potatoes.
- Bake for 45 minutes or until heated through.
Substitutions: 12 oz. bag frozen peas and carrots, 1 package prepared mashed potatoes or sweet potatoes
Recipe ingredients can be doubled to fit into a 9×13 baking dish
Keywords: turkey, mashed potatoes, stuffing, thanksgiving leftovers, holiday, vegetables, casserole
It’s like one big bite of all things Thanksgiving in one dish. How could you ever go wrong with that?