Are you a food blogger looking for a new challenge? You should join the Improv Cooking Challenge!
The group was initially started in 2011 (has it really been that long?!) by Sheryl of The Lady Behind the Curtain. By November of that year, Kristen of Frugal Antics of a Harried Homemaker had taken over. The concept was simple – two ingredients were chosen for each month and fellow bloggers were challenged to make a recipe using them. The idea stuck and in 2014, Lesa of Edesia’s Notebook took over as the host.
I’ve taken over as of June 2016 and I hope you’ll join us! Here’s how it works –
What: The Improv Cooking Challenge, a monthly blogging event where bloggers share recipes using two assigned ingredients for that month
Who: Food Bloggers
Where: The Improv Cooking Challenge Facebook Group and Your Blog
When: the 2nd Thursday of Every Month
Why: because it’s fun!
Details: For each month there are two assigned ingredients (scroll down to see what we have chosen for each month). Bloggers can let their imaginations run wild, creating a sweet or savory dish featuring those two ingredients and any others that they would like.
Substitutions: You may make similar substitutions of the ingredients to meet dietary restrictions (vegan, kosher, gluten-free, etc.) Just let us know somewhere in your post.
New Members: If you’d like to join us, please request to join the Improv Challenge Cooking Facebook group.
The Facebook group includes the Guidelines for participating each month. If you’d like to see what we’ve made in the past, check out our Pinterest board. You can also search hashtags #ImprovCooking and #ImprovCookingChallenge on social media.
Check Out Our Themes!
2019 Themes and Posting Dates
- January 10: oatmeal and honey
- February 14: wine and italian seasoning
- March 14: ramen and pork
- April 9: strawberry and rhubarb
- May 9: butter and pickles
- June 13: avocado and lime
- July 11: kiwi and pineapple
- August 8: chile and mango
- September 12: coriander and potatoes
- October 10: olive oil and orange
- November 14: pears and dairy
- December 12: marshmallow and walnut
- January 11th: ginger and spice
- February 8th: steak and potatoes
- March 8th: blueberries and lemongrass
- April 12th: asparagus and cream
- May 10th: lavender and lemon
- June 14th: red/white/blue
- July 12th: olives and cheese
- August 9th: ketchup and mustard
- September 13th: tomato and cheese
- October 11th: honey and nuts
- November 8th: bacon and onion
- December 13th: chocolate and raspberry
2017 Themes and Posting Dates
- January 19: lemon and rosemary
- February 16: chocolate and chiles
- March 16: potato and chive
- April 20: banana and coconut
- May 11: cookies and cream
- June 8: jalapeno and cheese
- July 13: berries and balsamic
- August 10: peaches and pepper(s)
- September 14: apples and honey
- October 12: sugar and spice
- November 9: winter squash and bacon
- December 14: peppermint and chocolate
* Starting May 2017 the posting date changed to the 2nd Thursday of the month *
2016 Themes and Posting Dates
- January 21: Pastry/Bread dough and Chocolate
- February 18: Tea and Honey
- March 17: Lamb and Rice
- April 21: Ham and Cheese
- May 19: Orange and Ginger
- June 16: Mint and Melon
- July 21: Peaches and Cream
- August 18: Garlic and Rosemary
- September 15: Sausage and Mustard
- October 20: Carrots and Curry
- November 17: Nuts and Caramel
- December 15: Cinnamon and Honey
I hope you’ll join us!