I think I’ve mentioned that I hoard mini chocolate chips before. They’re sometimes impossible to find at the store and I prefer them in recipes so I tend to buy a bunch of them whenever I see them. I’m the same way with pecans. They’re pretty expensive here, but around the holiday baking season they go on sale at Aldi I stock up to nearly a years supply. So if you’re ever in the mood for mini chocolate chips and pecans, you know what house to go to, because I always have a ton!
Today is National Pecan Day and the Festive Foodies are celebrating with a bunch of pecan recipes. Our host for this event is Liz of Books N Cooks.
Adapted from: Martha Stewart Everyday Magazine
Servings: 2 dozen
- 1 ½ cups pecans
- 2 sticks unsalted butter, softened
- ⅔ cup sugar + more for rolling
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ½ tsp almond extract
- ¼ tsp salt
- 2 cups all purpose flour
1. Preheat the oven to 350. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
2. Arrange the pecans into an even layer on one of the prepared baking sheets and bake for 5 minutes, then set aside to cool.
3. In a bowl of a stand mixer, add the butter and sugar and beat until light and fluffy. Add in the vanilla extract, almond extract, salt and flour until a dough forms.
4. Chop the cooled pecans and fold them into the mixture by hand.
5. Scoop golf-ball sized cookies and roll in the extra sugar. Place on the prepared baking sheets. Flatten with a glass or your palm.
6. Bake for 8 minutes then rotate the cooking sheets and bake for 7-8 minutes more or until just golden.
7. Transfer to a wire rack to cool.
These cookies are so easy to make and required hardly any ingredients that you can pretty much make them without any extra trips to the store. They’re basically a shortbread cookie with extra sugar and pecans included. Perfect for your morning coffee or tea or just a light bit of sweetness whenever you want.
- Derby Pie Macaron by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Pecan Applesauce Cake by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Pecan-Crusted Maple-Mustard Roasted Chicken by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Pecan Pie Cookies by Books n’ Cooks
- Roasted Sweet Potatoes with Praline Syrup by Palatable Pastime
- Toasted Goat Cheese & Pecan Salad by Faith, Hope, Love, & Luck Survive Despite a Whiskered Accomplice
- Butter Pecan Cookies by Cookaholic Wife