Bourbon Cranberry Sauce
Homemade cranberry sauce is so easy to make and sure to please when it includes bourbon!
- Prep Time: 2 mins
- Cook Time: 20 mins
- Total Time: 22 mins
- Yield: 2 cups 1x
- Category: Sauce
- Method: Stovetop
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup water
- 1 12 oz. package fresh cranberries
- 2 tbsp bourbon
- In a large saucepan whisk together the sugar, brown sugar and water until the sugar mostly dissolves. Add in the cranberries and heat over medium high heat.
- Bring the mixture to a boil and the cranberries start popping, then reduce to a simmer and simmer for 15-20 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and whisk in the bourbon. Use a potato masher to break up the cranberries. The mixture will thicken up as it cools.
Cranberry sauce can be frozen for up to 1 month.
Keywords: bourbon cranberry sauce, bourbon, cranberry, cranberry sauce, thanksgiving, holiday, side dish,
Adding liquor to a sauce pan over heat can cause the mixture to catch on fire, as I’m sure you’ve seen from watching cooking television shows before. I didn’t want to have that happen, but I was also worried that adding the bourbon into the pan after it was removed from the heat would make the bourbon flavor too strong as usually the liquor is allowed to cook off.
I took my chances and kept the saucepan on the hot stove while it cooled down before I taste tested it and was pleasantly surprised to find a very mild bourbon flavor throughout. So, keep that in mind if you prefer a stronger flavor. This cranberry sauce is definitely delicious and it will be gracing my table at least twice this year, as in addition to Thanksgiving, I’m also hosting a Friendsgiving.
I’m excited to be sharing this recipe as part of Cranberry Week – now in it’s third year! See all the tasty cranberry recipes being shared today below and follow #cranberryweek on social media for more ideas all week long.
- Bourbon Cranberry Sauce from Cookaholic Wife
- Cranberry Apple Pie from The Redhead Baker
- Cranberry Almond Shortbread Tart from Karen’s Kitchen Stories
- Cranberry Cheese Ball from A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Cranberry Chipotle Glazed Baked Salmon from Palatable Pastime
- Cranberry Cream Cheese Spread from Our Good Life
- Cranberry Ice Cream from Kate’s Recipe Box
- Cranberry Orange Bread from The Saucy Fig
- Cranberry-Orange Glazed Ham from Cooking For My Soul
- Cranberry Orange Scones from A Joyfully Mad Kitchen
- Fall Pizza with Sausage and Squash from Caroline’s Cooking
- Glazed Cranberry Almond Squares from Family Around the Kitchen
- Hot Spiced Cranberry Orange Cocktail from The Gingered Whisk
- Lamb Lollipops with Cranberry-Apple Mostarda from Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Maple Honey Cranberry Sauce from Jolene’s Recipe Journal
- Quinoa with Turkey, Brussels Sprouts & Cranberries from Books n’ Cooks
- Real Cranberry Gummy Bears from Daily Dish Recipes