Cajun Roasted Turkey Breast is full of flavor! Made with paprika, cayenne, garlic powder and other spices, it's a great twist for a flavorful turkey on Thanksgiving.
Tom has been on a pretty good streak of suggesting recipes for me to make lately. Usually, the meal planning for the week completely falls on me. Do you struggle to come up with dinners each week? There are definitely times where I just sit there, looking at a blank notepad with no idea what to make.
A week or so ago, he asked me if we were going to have multiple Thanksgivings again. For the past couple of years, we've had a few of them starting in October so I had a good stock pile of recipes to share with you. I wasn't planning on doing it this year, but then he mentioned a New Orleans style Thanksgiving. We LOVE New Orleans style food, so even though I have a ton of recipes to make for events through the end of the year, this had to happen!
We agreed on a cajun turkey, oyster dressing, corn maque choux and creole green beans.
WHAT IS CAJUN SEASONING?
Cajun seasoning is a highly flavorful seasoning made of a variety of spices. The spice comes from smoked paprika, cayenne pepper, black pepper and red pepper flakes. That's combined with garlic powder, onion powder, oregano, thyme and salt for a truly flavorful spice.
WHAT CAN YOU USE CAJUN SEASONING FOR?
Honestly, just about everything! It's delicious on turkey (obviously), chicken, pork and seafood. You can add it to burgers or sprinkle it over fries. Sprinkle it over roasted veggies or switch it out for salt to put on your popcorn.
CAN I BUY CAJUN SEASONING INSTEAD?
Yes. There are a ton of different premade cajun seasonings that you can find in the spice aisle of the grocery store. If you can't find anything listed as "cajun" look for "creole" which is a very similar spice.
CAJUN ROASTED TURKEY BREAST INGREDIENTS
- 3 lb turkey breast, skin on
- 4 tablespoon unsalted butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon each: smoked paprika, black pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, oregano, thyme and salt
- ½ teaspoon each: cayenne pepper and red pepper flakes
- 2 cups chicken (or turkey) stock
If you are a fan of spicy foods, feel free to increase the cayenne pepper and red pepper flakes to a teaspoon each as well!
CAJUN ROASTED TURKEY BREAST INSTRUCTIONS
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line a cooling rack inside of a baking dish. (I use the rack from my toaster oven in a 9x13 Pyrex dish)
- Pour 1 cup of the chicken stock into the bottom of the pan.
- In a bowl, mash together the softened butter with all of the spices.
- Spread it all over the turkey breast, making sure to get it under the skin.
- Place the turkey breast on the rack and bake in the preheated oven for 50 minutes.
- Add the remaining cup of chicken broth to the bottom of the pan and bake for another 25 minutes or until the temperature of the thickest part of the turkey breast reaches 165 degrees F.
- Remove from the oven and let rest 15 minutes before slicing.
WHAT TO SERVE WITH CAJUN ROASTED TURKEY BREAST
- Cranberry Pecan Stuffing
- Old-Fashioned Celery and Onion Stuffing
- Mashed Potatoes
- Parmesan Sage Mashed Sweet Potatoes
- Green Bean Casserole
- Bacon and Onion Green Beans
Or check back later this week for my recipe for Oyster Stuffing and Corn Maque Choux, both Cajun-style dishes that we enjoyed with this Cajun Roasted Turkey Breast!
This turkey is freaking incredible! It's moist and super flavorful from all of the spices. I'm pretty sure that I'll be making this again for Thanksgiving!
WANT TO TRY THIS RECIPE? SAVE IT TO YOUR FAVORITE PINTEREST BOARD!
COME FOLLOW ME ON PINTEREST FOR A TON OF OTHER DELICIOUS RECIPES!
Cajun Roasted Turkey Breast
- 3 lb turkey breast with skin
- 4 tablespoon unsalted butter softened
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ½ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 cups chicken or turkey broth
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Place a rack inside of a baking dish (or use a roasting pan).
- Add 1 cup of the chicken broth to the bottom of the pan.
- In a bowl, mash together the butter with all of the spices.
- Spread the mixture all over the turkey, making sure to get under the skin.
- Place the seasoned turkey breast on the rack and bake in the preheated oven for 50 minutes.
- Add the remaining cup of broth and cook for another 25 minutes or until the thickest piece of the turkey breast registers at 165F.
- Remove the turkey from the oven and let rest 15 minutes before slicing.
Recipes on Cookaholic Wife are for information purposes only. Nutritional Data provided has not been evaluated by a nutritionist.
Leave a Reply