This blog post should really be titled “The cake that didn’t want to cake.”
I’ve known that the theme for this month’s #BundtBakers was strawberry for a few months now. I made my first recipe back in early June when strawberries were plentiful and cheap. It was a strawberry rhubarb recipe and it promptly fell apart as soon as I sliced into it.
I tried again the next weekend, thinking perhaps I just used too many strawberries and the cake was too moist. Nope, cake mush, take 2.
A few weeks later, I tried out my mini bundt pan making a Neapolitan version that I was going to top with chocolate covered strawberries. Which would have been gorgeous if the entire cake hadn’t needed to bake for so long that it turned dark brown and you couldn’t tell the difference between what was supposed to be chocolate, strawberry and vanilla.
Three failed cakes is where most people give up, but I’m nothing if not persistent. However, I am also somewhat logical and decided that my final attempt in making a strawberry cake to share with you was going to use prepared cake mix in hopes that I could finally get one right.
And it worked! While not gorgeous or perfect, it turned out well enough that I could share it with you (and finally stop making failed strawberry cakes!)
#BundtBakers is a group of Bundt loving bakers who get together once a month to bake Bundts with a common ingredient or theme. You can see all our of lovely Bundts by following our Pinterest board. We take turns hosting each month and choosing the theme/ingredient.
Updated links for all of our past events and more information about BundtBakers, can be found on our home page. Our host for this month is Tammy of Living the Gourmet.
#BundtBakers: Strawberry Crunch Bundt Cake
for the cake:
- 1 box white cake mix prepared
- 1 box strawberry cake mix prepared
for the frosting:
- ½ stick unsalted butter softened
- 2 tbsp cream cheese softened
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- ½ cup fresh strawberries mashed
- 2-4 tbsp heavy cream
- pinch of salt
for the crunch topping:
- 6 vanilla oreo cookies
- 4 shortbread cookies
- 4 oz. freeze dried strawberries
- 2 tbsp melted butter
- 1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Spray a bundt pan with non-stick spray.
- 2. Prepare the white cake mix according to package directions. Pour ⅓ of the batter into the prepared bundt pan.
- 3. Prepare the strawberry cake mix according to package directions. Pour ⅓ of the batter on top of the white cake mix in the bundt pan. Repeat with ⅓ of the white cake batter, ⅓ strawberry and finish with the remaining ⅓ of the white cake mix. (Discard remaining strawberry cake mix or make cupcakes)
- 4. Bake for 40-45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Remove cake from the oven and allow to cool on a wire rack.
- 5. Meanwhile, prepare the frosting by adding the butter and cream cheese to the bowl of a stand mixer. Beat on medium speed until light and fluffy. Add in powdered sugar ½ cup at a time until combined. Add mashed strawberries and salt. Add in heavy cream 1 tablespoon at a time to thin out the frosting if needed.
- 6. Prepare the crunch topping by adding oreo cookies and shortbread cookies to a food processor and pulsing until fine. Add in melted butter and pulse until it comes together. Finally add in the freeze dried strawberries and pulse until mixed in.
- 7. Once the cake has cooled, place a plate on top of the bundt pan and flip it over so the cake is upright on the plate. Spread the frosting on the top and sides of the cake and then coat with the crunch topping.
- 8. Slice and serve. Uneaten cake should be covered and refrigerated.
Recipes on Cookaholic Wife are for information purposes only. Nutritional Data provided has not been evaluated by a nutritionist.
This cake is light and moist and full of strawberry flavor. It’s not quite the same as those ice cream bars with a similar coating but it’s still incredibly tasty. Tom had three slices before I reminded him that I was taking it into work. My coworkers had it gone within a few short hours.
- Chocolate Covered Strawberry Poke Bundt by Faith, Hope, Love, & Luck Survive Despite a Whiskered Accomplice
- Freeze Dried Strawberry Bundt with Cream Cheese Glaze by Sweet Sensations
- Jam Strawberry Bundt Cake by Bizcocheando
- Lemon Strawberry Poke Bundt by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Neapolitan Zebra Bundt Cake by All That’s Left Are The Crumbs
- Strawberry Balsamic Bundt Cake by Sew You Think You Can Cook
- Strawberry & Cream Bundt Cake by Patty’s Cakes
- Strawberry Crunch Bundt Cake by Cookaholic Wife
- Strawberry Bundt Mousse Cake by Sneha’s Recipe
- Strawberry Bundt Cake with White Chocolate Ganache by The Queen of Scones
- Strawberries & Cream Naked Bundt Cake by Living the Gourmet
- Strawberry Key Lime Cheesecake Bundt by The Crumby Kitchen
- Strawberry Orange Bundt Cake by I Love Bundt Cakes