Orange Creamsicle Poke Cake is a flavorful creamy orange cake made with fresh orange juice, jello and cake mix. It's topped with a whipped cream frosting.
Disclaimer: This post is sponsored in conjunction with #SpringSweetsWeek. I received product samples from sponsor companies to help in the creation of the #SpringSweetsWeek recipes. All opinions are mine alone.
While it does require a bit of patience, I love how simple a poke cake is. You can never go wrong with creamsicle flavor in my book and using freshly squeezed orange juice really makes this cake special.
What is orange creamsicle poke cake?
A poke cake is just what it sounds like - a cake with holes poked in it. The purpose is to add more flavor to the cake. An Orange Creamsicle Poke Cake is a boxed white cake mix, made with fresh orange juice and then is "poked" with orange jello. Vanilla pudding and whipped cream are mixed together to make the frosting for this cake.
- white cake mix
- fresh orange juice
- canola oil
- orange jello
- instant vanilla pudding
- whipped cream
Optional toppings: orange zest, sprinkles, candied orange slices
First, preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 9x9 or 9x13 baking dish with baking spray.
Then, halve and squeeze juice from oranges until you get 1 cup of juice. Strain, discarding any pulp or seeds. Set aside.
Next, make the cake. Add the cake mix, eggs, freshly squeezed orange juice and canola oil together in a bowl or stand mixer and mix until smooth. Pour into the prepared baking dish and bake according to package directions. (33-35 minutes for a 9x9 baking dish) Remove from the oven and let cool for 30 minutes.
Meanwhile, prepare the jello. Bring a cup of water to a boil and stir in the jello packet, whisking until dissolved. Then add in a cup of cold water. Use the bottom of a wooden spoon, a straw or similiar item to poke holes all over the cake. Pour the jello mixture over the cake and then refrigerate for 2 hours.
After that, make the frosting. When the cake has about 30 minutes to finish chilling, take the whipped cream out of the freezer to thaw slightly. Prepare vanilla pudding according to package directions in a large bowl. Then fold in whipped cream. Spread the mixture over the cake.
Finally, chill the cake again. Chill the cake for an additional 30 minutes, or until you're ready to serve it. Decorate with orange zest, sprinkles, candied orange slices, etc.
- Cara Cara Oranges from Melissa's Produce
- Anolon 9-inch Square Cake Pan
Poke Cake Storage
You'll need to store your Orange Creamsicle Poke Cake in the fridge because of the whipped cream frosting.
And you can even freeze poke cake! After baking the cake and pouring the jello on top, let the cake cool completely, then wrap it up tightly in plastic wrap and freeze for 1-2 months!
More Cake Recipes You'll Love
Texas Sheet Cake | Brown Sugar Banana Cake | Baltimore Peach Cake
Welcome to #SpringSweetsWeek 2023 hosted by Heather from Hezzi-D's Books and Cooks! The sun is shining, the weather is getting warmer, and we are celebrating the beginning of spring with plenty of spring sweets and a fun giveaway!
This year 20 food bloggers from around the country are sharing over 75 sweet recipes that are perfect for spring. So get ready to enjoy amazing spring treats like cupcakes, cookies, pies, jams, and even a few beverages! Thank you to our #SpringSweetsWeek sponsors that are helping us give away some great prizes.
Thank you to Melissa's Produce, Anolon, , Taylor and Colledge, and Selefina Spices for your generosity and support. We have an incredible giveaway with four amazing prizes and would love it if you would take a moment to read about it and the prizes that you can win!
Prize #1: A Fresh and Dried Organics Basket from Melissa's Produce.
One winner will enjoy an abundance of fruit with Melissa’s Fresh and Dried Organics Basket. This hand-woven basket holds a delicious combination of fresh and dried Organic fruits and is carefully wrapped with cellophane and finished with a colorful ribbon. Melissa's Produce has everything from common apples and bananas to exotic passion fruit and kumquats.
Prize # 2: A $30 Gift certificate to Selefina Spices.
One winner will enjoy a $30 gift certificate to buy all their favorite spices for cooking and baking! Selefina Spices sells an assortment of spices gathered using dedication and care with which we’ve curated their online tea collection. With our decades of experience sourcing products and establishing global connections their mission is to be able to bring you fresher, higher-quality spices and seasonings at lower prices.
Prize #3: A selection of 4 extract pastes from Taylor and Colledge.
One winner will receive a selection of extracts to include almond, lemon, organic vanilla bean, and lavender. In 1897, Taylor & Colledge won its first award for excellence in vanilla. Since then, the Taylor & Colledge commitment for unsurpassed quality has earned its reputation as one of the world’s finest producers of vanilla.
Prize #4: AnolonPro Bakeware 2 Piece Set of Half Sheet Cookie Pans.
One winner will win a 2-piece set of 13-inch x 18-inch half sheet baking pans for cookies! These aluminized steel professional sheet pans deliver unmatched durability and heat conduction for incredibly reliable results and are oven safe to 550°F. You'll be able to bake all your favorite cookies to perfection. Anolon Pro Bakeware gives you professional grade bakeware at affordable prices.
The #SpringSweetsWeek giveaway is open to residents of the United States who are 18 years of age or older. All entries for the winner will be checked and verified. By entering you give the right to use your name and likeness. The number of entries received determines the odds of winning. Four (4) winners will be selected. The prize packages will be sent directly from the giveaway sponsors. The #SpringSweetsWeek Bloggers are not responsible for the fulfillment or delivery of the prize packages. Bloggers hosting this giveaway and their immediate family members in their household cannot enter or win the giveaway. No purchase necessary. Void where prohibited by law.
This promotion is in no way sponsored, endorsed or administered by, or associated with Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest, Twitter or any other social channel mentioned in the #SpringSweetsWeek posts or entry.
Thank you #SpringSweetsWeek Sponsors: Selefina Spices, Anolon, Melissa’s Produce, and Taylor and Colledge for providing the prizes free of charge. These companies also provided the bloggers with samples and product to use for #SpringSweetsWeek recipes. All opinions are my own.
The #SpringSweetsWeek giveaway is open to residents of the United States who are 18 years of age or older. All entries for the winner will be checked and verified. By entering you give the right to use your name and likeness. The number of entries received determines the odds of winning. Four (4) winners will be selected. The prize packages will be sent directly from the giveaway sponsors.
The #SpringSweetsWeek Bloggers are not responsible for the fulfillment or delivery of the prize packages. Bloggers hosting this giveaway and their immediate family members in their household cannot enter or win the giveaway. No purchase necessary. Void where prohibited by law. This promotion is in no way sponsored, endorsed or administered by, or associated with Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest, Twitter or any other social channel mentioned in the #SpringSweetsWeek posts or entry.
Monday #SpringSweetsWeek Recipes
- Banana Spice Cupcakes with Peanut Butter Frosting by Family Around the Table
- Blackberry Lavender Cake by Hezzi-D's Books and Cooks
- Color Changing Eggless Blood Orange Jello Cake by Magical Ingredients
- Easy Glazed Lemon Ginger Scones by Blogghetti
- Easy Mini Cheesecakes by Art of Natural Living
- Funfetti Conchas by Karen's Kitchen Stories
- Gluten Free Lemon Lavender Icebox Cake by Frugal & Fit
- Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream by Kate's Recipe Box
- Key Lime Bars by Jen Around the World
- Key Lime Coconut Thumbprints by A Kitchen Hoor's Adventures
- Lavender Linzer Cookies with Kumquat Marmalade by The Spiffy Cookie
- Lavender Madeleines by Jolene's Recipe Journal
- Lemon Blueberry Upside Down Cake by Cheese Curd In Paradise
- Lemon Carrot Loaf Cake by Sweet Beginnings
- Lemon Lime Dessert Crepes by Cindy's Recipes and Writings
- Lime Pink Peppercorn Cookies by That Recipe
- One Pan Chocolate Cake by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Orange Creamsicle Poke Cake by Cookaholic Wife
- Pink Peppercorn Cookies by Palatable Pastime
- Rosemary Pine Nut Cornmeal Shortbread by Shockingly Delicious
We share recipes from #SpringSweetsWeek on Pinterest! Make sure you follow the board to see all the delicious recipes shared this week.
Want to save this recipe for later? Follow me on Pinterest! Rather watch a video? See if I've made this recipe by following me on Tiktok!
Orange Creamsicle Poke Cake
For the Cake
- 1 box white cake mix
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup orange juice freshly squeezed
- ½ cup vegetable oil
For the Filling
- 3 oz orange flavored jello mix
- 1 cup water cold
- 1 cup water boiling
For the Frosting
- 3.4 oz instant vanilla pudding mix
- 1 cup milk
- 8 oz whipped topping sightly thawed
- 1 tablespoon orange zest
- orange sprinkles, candied orange slices, fresh orange slices
For the Cake
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 9x9 baking dish.
- Prepare cake by combining cake mix, eggs, orange juice, and vegetable oil in the bowl or a stand mixer or with a hand mixer. Pour into the prepared baking dish.1 box white cake mix, 3 large eggs, 1 cup orange juice, ½ cup vegetable oil
- Bake for 33-35 minutes, until set. Then remove from the oven and let cool 30 minutes.
- Use the bottom of a wooden spoon, straw or other dowel type item to poke holes throughout the cake.
For the Filling
- Bring a cup of water to a boil and then whisk in orange jello mix until fully dissolved. Stir in 1 cup of cold water. Pour the mixture over the cake, making sure to fully coat.3 oz orange flavored jello mix, 1 cup water, 1 cup water
- Refrigerate cake for 2-3 hours.
For the Frosting
- In a large bowl, whisk together vanilla pudding mix with milk until combined. Then fold in slightly thawed whipped topping until fully combined.3.4 oz instant vanilla pudding mix, 1 cup milk, 8 oz whipped topping
- Spread the frosting over the cake and return to the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes.
- Garnish cake with 1 tablespoon orange zest, orange sprinkles, candied oranges, fresh orange slices or other topping if desired. Cut into squares and serve.1 tablespoon orange zest, orange sprinkles, candied orange slices, fresh orange slices
- Orange Creamsicle Poke Cake will keep in the fridge, covered for 2-3 days.
Recipes on Cookaholic Wife are for information purposes only. Nutritional Data provided has not been evaluated by a nutritionist.
Leave a Reply