Then I was going through the refrigerator and found that we had opened a can of cherry pie filling. I have no idea why this was even open but I didn't want to leave them in the refrigerator for long, so I began brainstorming up recipe concoctions that could use cherry pie filling. I don't actually like cherry pie filling so I needed to make something that Tom would enjoy.
I began to wonder how cherry pie filling would taste in a cookie cup and figured there was no time like the present to try things out.
Chocolate-Cherry Cookie Cups
Source: A Cookaholic Wife creation/Hezzi-D's Books and Cooks
Servings: 24 mini cups
for the cookie cups:
- 1 stick unsalted butter, softened
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ¼ cup sugar
- ½ tsp. vanilla
- 1 egg
- 1 ¼ cups all-purpose flour
- ½ tsp. baking soda
- ¼ tsp. salt
for the chocolate-cherry filling:
- ⅓ cup mini chocolate chips
- ½ cup cherry pie filling
- ⅛ cup powdered sugar
1. Preheat the oven to 350. Spray a mini-muffin pan with non-stick cooking spray.
2. Add butter and sugars to the bowl of your stand mixer and beat until combined. Add in vanilla and egg until fully combined.
3. In a medium bowl, combine flour, baking soda and salt. Slowly add flour mixture into the stand mixer until a dough has formed.
4. Roll the dough into quarter-sized balls and place each one into the well of a mini-muffin pan. Bake for 10 minutes and remove from the oven.
5. Use the rounded side of a teaspoon to press an indentation into each cookie cup. Working quickly, fill each cookie cup with a pinch of mini chocolate chips. Return to the oven for 1 minute.
6. Using a fork to remove excess glaze, scoop up cherries from pie filling and place 1-2 cherries on top of the chocolate chips, then return to the oven for 1 more minute.
7. Sift powdered sugar over the chocolate-cherry cookie cups before serving.
Adding the mini chocolate chips was a last-second decision but I'm so glad I decided to do so. Tom loved these and scarfed them down pretty quickly. Even though I'm not a fan of cherry pie filling, I can't not eat my own creations so I tried one and found that in this capacity, cherry pie filling isn't so bad!