I giggled when I read the two ingredients for this month's Improv challenge: hearts and flours. I can't help it, I'm easily amused by puns.
In case you don't know yet, the Improv Challenge is a challenge organized by Kristin of Frugal Antics of a Harried Homemaker. There are two ingredients selected for each month (and we're made aware of them in advance) and anyone who wishes can participate. To participate, you just need to make a recipe that includes those two ingredients and post it on your blog (for the first time) on the day of our link up. Easy, right?
I printed out this recipe a while back and for whatever reason, never got around to making it. Which is kind of a shock considering it involves Nutella which is pretty much one of my favorite ingredients, ever. Nevertheless, I knew this would be a great recipe to use for this challenge.
- 1 pie crust, homemade or store-bought refrigerated version (like Pillsbury)
- 6 tsp. Nutella
- 6 tsp. strawberry preserves
- 2 large strawberries, carved into 6 hearts
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tsp. water
- 1 tsp. sugar in the raw or other coarse sugar
1. Preheat the oven to 350. Line a baking sheet with a silpat.
2. Lightly flour a surface and roll out the pie crust until very, very thin, about 1/16th of an inch. Cut into 2.5" x 3.5" rectangles, rolling the dough out again as necessary to create 12 rectangles.
3. Cut out a heart in 6 of the rectangles, the size that the strawberry will fit into.
4. Spread 1 tsp. of Nutella onto the 6 remaining rectangles, then add 1 tsp. of preserves each.
5. Then place the other rectangle on top and put the heart in the center. Use a fork to crimp the edges.
6. Whisk together the egg and water in a small bowl. Brush onto the top of each pop tart. Sprinkle with the coarse sugar.
7. Bake for 12-14 minutes or until golden brown. Transfer to a cooling rack for 5 minutes before serving.
Yum! Not only are these adorable but they're tasty too! If you keep pie crust in the freezer like I do, this is something you can whip up relatively quickly.