Asparagus and Mushroom Tortellini is a quick weeknight dinner made with fresh asparagus, mushrooms and packaged tortellini in a rich creamy, cheese sauce.
Update: This recipe was originally posted in April of 2018 and has been republished in September 2020 with new photos.
I am a huge fan of quick weeknight meals. How about you? I love that this recipe comes together in no time at all, using packaged tortellini and veggies that are easy to chop! It's delicious in spring when asparagus first comes back into season, but also great throughout the summer and into fall.
The first time I made this dish I was pretty convinced that I was going to be the only one eating it, as it's based around vegetables. To my utter surprise, Tom loved it. Honestly, I assumed it was a fluke. So I hesitated the next time I made the recipe, thinking this would be the time he told me he didn't like it. Nope, he still loved it. So I think this recipe is kinda magical.
Ingredients for Asparagus and Mushroom Tortellini
- packaged cheese tortellini
- heavy whipping cream
- Parmesan cheese
- crushed red pepper
- salt and pepper
How to make this recipe
- Start with the tortellini. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil and add tortellini, cooking according to package directions. Drain and set aside.
- Cook the veggies. Melt butter in a large skillet and add in the onion and asparagus, cooking for about 5 minutes, until tender crisp. Then add in the mushrooms and cook for 3-4 minutes more. Follow up with the garlic and cook for another minute.
- Create that creamy sauce. While stirring, pour in the heavy cream followed by the Parmesan cheese. Then stir in the tortellini. Bring it to a simmer, then remove from the heat. Season to taste with salt, pepper and crushed red pepper.
- Top it with bacon! Divide the tortellini and vegetable mixture onto plates and top with crumbled bacon.
Substitutions for asparagus & mushroom tortellini
- Replace heavy whipping cream with half and half or milk
- Skip the bacon for a vegetarian meal
- Add in fresh herbs - parsley and basil would be great in this dish
Want to save this recipe for later? Pin it to your favorite Pinterest board and follow me for more delicious recipes!
Asparagus and Mushroom Tortellini
- 9 oz. package cheese tortellini
- 5-6 pieces bacon cooked and crumbled
- 2 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 medium onion diced
- 1 lb. asparagus chopped
- 8 oz. mushrooms diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- ½ cup Parmesan cheese grated
- salt and pepper to taste
- crushed red pepper to taste
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Cook tortellini according to package directions, then drain, return to the pot and set aside.
- In a large skillet, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the onion and asparagus and cook for 5-6 minutes or until tender-crisp.
- Add in the mushrooms and cook 3-4 minutes more or until all of the vegetables reach your desired consistency. Add the garlic and cook 1 minute more.
- Pour the cream into the skillet while stirring, then stir in the tortellini, followed by the Parmesan cheese until it melts.
- Bring the cream to just a simmer, then remove from the heat. Season to taste with salt, pepper and crushed red pepper.
- Divide onto plates and top with crumbled bacon.
Recipes on Cookaholic Wife are for information purposes only. Nutritional Data provided has not been evaluated by a nutritionist.
This recipe was originally made as part of the #ImprovCookingChallenge.
The #ImprovCookingChallenge is a monthly blogging event where two ingredients are assigned to a month. Bloggers can make any recipe they like as long as it features the two ingredients.
If you are a blogger and would like to join us, please visit our Facebook page.You can also read more about the event on our our home page. If you’d like to see previous creations, check out our Pinterest board.