Mixed Berry Cheese Danish is an easy-to-make, breakfast or brunch treat. Puff pastry serves as the base, topped with a cheesecake like filling, lemon zest and fresh baked berries.
Why have I never made a danish before? I wish I could answer that, but I can't as I seriously have no idea. This recipe is so easy - only a few ingredients and you have a gorgeous and tasty breakfast treat! These Mixed Berry Cheese Danishes are made using puff pastry as the base, so there's no making fussing with a dough. The cream cheese filling is only cream cheese, sugar, lemon juice and zest and then they're topped with the berries (or any other fruit) of your choice!
I think I'd love to try these using cherries or peaches when they're in season. Or even pears in the fall!
Mixed Berry Cheese Danish
- 1 package puff pastry thawed
- 8 oz. cream cheese softened
- ⅓ cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- berries of your choice
- powdered sugar and mint for garnish optional
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Unfold the puff pastry onto a lightly floured surface. Use a 4-inch round cookie or biscuit cutter to cut 4 rounds out of each sheet of puff pastry. Place on the prepared baking sheet.
- Layer the leftover pastry dough on top of each other and roll out with a rolling pin until its the same height as the rounds. Cut out 3-4 remaining rounds.
- Use a smaller cookie or biscuit cutter and gently press an indent into each of the rounds. This will stop the pastry from rising in the center. (Alternately use a glass or anything round smaller than the initial puff pastry round)
- In a medium bowl, combine the cream cheese, sugar, lemon juice and zest and beat with a mixer until smooth.
- Scoop a heaping tablespoon into the center of each of the pastry circles.
- Top with berries of your choice.
- Bake for 20-22 minutes or until lightly golden.
- Let cool slightly and dust with powdered sugar and garnish with mint leaves if desired.
Recipes on Cookaholic Wife are for information purposes only. Nutritional Data provided has not been evaluated by a nutritionist.
Confession: I enjoyed these mixed berry cheese danishes so much that I actually ate two of them myself!
The theme for June's Baking Bloggers is baking with fruit. Baking Bloggers is a monthly blogging event where participants vote on a theme and make a recipe using ingredients from that theme. We post on the second Monday of each month.